Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

need some help on some shocks, springs, and sway bars

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 11:19 PM

need some help on some shocks, springs, and sway bars

well, i had originally setup to do strano bars, koni SA's, and stock springs. it appears I'm too broke to afford all that. lol anyway,i was wondering if i could get some suggestions. KEEP IN MIND CAR IS DAILY DRIVER, MAY RARELY SEE A ROAD TRACK FOR FUN.
-who makes good 1" lowering springs for our cars considering the above. not too stiff, but handles and sits better than stock,
- who makes comparible sway bars that work well and are not really expensive. i've never found a single rear bar that i've liked. always too stiff of too loose.
-Are there any comparible shocks to the koni Sa's. again, its a street driver, but damn stock shocks handle like a pig and its no fun to drive. thanks
Old 11-22-2006, 02:57 AM

-who makes good 1" lowering springs for our cars considering the above. not too stiff, but handles and sits better than stock

Sam Stranos got some custom one made to his specification.They lower the car 1.25".

-who makes comparible sway bars that work well and are not really expensive. i've never found a single rear bar that i've liked. always too stiff of too loose.

No comparible,but you could always buy the Stranos front bar that work with the stock rear and had some poly bushing and it would work without any problem.
If you need it you could always buy the Stranos rear one later.Or you could always save money and buy the 1LE front sway bar(32mm) and keep the rear one.

Dont forget that to match the front 35mm stranos bar or even the 1LE 32mm,the rear one need to be between stock size 19mm or maximum 22mm,if you go bigger your car will be really tail happy.So you dont have a lot of choice in the rear... if you choose something bigger than 22mm it will be to stiff.Like i said you could always enhanced the rear one with poly bushing and end link.

-Are there any comparible shocks to the koni Sa's. again, its a street driver, but damn stock shocks handle like a pig and its no fun to drive. thanks

No,if you absolutely want adjsutable ¸you got KYB AGX but as i heard they are not very well suited for are car...My best bet would be that you could go with some bilstein revalved too your need and your spring rate by Sam and be very happy with them.

Best guest...Call Sam
Old 11-22-2006, 10:24 AM

Who says you have to all those things at once?

Here's a hint, cheap parts are cheap for a reason.... Seriously. Better to buy fewer good parts than many not-so-good ones, the result will be better.

I second the notion that calling would be the the best idea.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:57 PM

alright, well lets clear this up. I'm not out to buy cheap parts at all. its a waste. kyb agx's are junk all around. i've put them on a jetta, mustang, camaro, and they felt faintly better than stock.
here's my situation....my car absolutely needs shocks. the stock ones are getting floaty and bump steer is becoming a serious issue...no response in the shocks at all. But, here's where i'm caught. i don't want stock but at this time i can't afford $800 koni SA's. bilstein hd's are nice shocks, but i'm screwed if i want to lower the car. then, i'd have to do revalves, which are only a couple hundred less than the superior koni's. thats where i'm stuck and looking for advice. i'm probably going to get the strano front bar and leave the rear for now. I'm open board to the springs. I mainly want the springs to get rid of the fender clearance, so i don't need a full out stiff spring. anything better than stock is fine with me. hope that helps. sam, you're extremely helpful...i've already had couple talks with you on the phone. i just don't know if i can afford all the goodies.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:39 PM

IMHO the best thing you can do is to go for the Koni's...

Granted, if you're paying to get the shocks installed, then you'll have to pay for the labor for the shocks, and then later on pay labor to have the springs installed, not cost-effective I agree...

However...

The Koni's are by far the best shocks you can buy for your 4th-gen f-body, you will not regret it.

Save up your $$$ and get the Koni's, or if you are adamant about changing the shocks ASAP, then call Sam and get the revalved Bilstein's and his springs, you'll have a VERY sweet handling car.

I'm thinking about $650 for the revalved Bilstein's, $250 for Sam's springs, so about $900.00 plus shipping, not too bad...

Save your money and buy both at the same time, buy both from Sam and he'll set up your revalved Bilstein's to match the spring rates of his springs, or any of the aftermarked springs that he carries.