Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Need Some Lowering Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 12:52 PM

Need Some Lowering Advice

I am thinking about lowering my car. What do you guys reccomend for a drop? I don't have headers and will probably never get them(so I don't need to worry about those scraping), and my car is a daily driver. Any suggestions as far as drop length and companies to go with? Will there be any other suspension mods I need to do to compliment this like shocks? Thanks in advance for the replys!
Old 08-31-2005, 07:12 PM

Re: Need Some Lowering Advice

You will want to do shocks at the same time as springs. The stock shocks will not do a good job of controlling the higher spring rates of lowering springs, and as much trouble as installing the fronts is, you won't want to do it twice. Depending on how much drop, you may also need an adjustable panhard bar to recenter the rear axle.
I have Hotchkis springs which I think are pretty good for a daily driver. Initial spring rates are similar to stock so the ride is comfortable, and the car isn't low enough to scrape often.

Last edited by Bud M; 08-31-2005 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:30 PM

Plan on spending money on extras to compensate for the drop if it is a significant one. I dropped my rear 1" and have had to put in LCA relocating brackets and an adjustable torque arm in order to correct problems with traction and higher speed vibrations.

If you are going to drop the car with new springs you sue as heck will want new shocks to go with them.

Money money money!
Old 09-01-2005, 02:58 PM

LCA relo brackets are not necessary unless you want to drag. I went 1.4" drop and still don't have them and actually get decent traction. From the posts about people feeling squirrely at high speeds w/them if I get them they'll be on the stock setting and only get dropped if I'm going to the strip.

Adj torque arm is not necessary.
Adj LCA are not necessary.
Adj PHB is if you go lower then 1". I've talked to guys running the stock w/no prob at that height.

Shocks are necessary unless you like to bounce down the road.

If you want a minor drop w/a good ride, get Koni SA fronts and put it on the lower perch then do the !isolator mod on the rear springs w/some 3rd gen performance shocks of your choice.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:21 PM

Nothing is necessary if you don't mind compromises. I found a very substasntial loss of traction with 1.5 in drop. If you didn't have that experience good for you. Geometry says that you will though. You don't need a adjustable torque arm either if you don't mind living with some viration at 80mph. I don't want vibration at that speed so I will correct the geometyr. Again, not necessary, but not a compromise I'm willing to make.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:18 PM

I have NO vibration at 80 or higher. I drive 80+mph daily too, not legally but I still do. Many lowered cars do not run adjustable torque arms and have no vibration. Maybe your mounts were worn out.

LCA relobrackets only increase traction for DRAG RACING. For handling you want your LCA's to be at a more level angle. You do need traction to go around corners fast too. I'm also running BFG KD's on the rear. I'm sure they're helping a lot. Harder and less expensive off brand tires cause a loss of traction but many people run them too. What tires are you running?
Old 09-02-2005, 10:36 PM

KDW

My experience with these issues comes primarily from playing on road courses. I probably wouldn't have noticed had I not been involved in track lapping. The rear of the car is much more firmly planted when the geometry is right. The difference under these circumstances is very noticeable to me.