Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

New Baer front rotors or GT+

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 07:26 AM

New Baer front rotors or GT+

I am considering between new Baer Eradispeed front rotors or getting the Baer GT+ front brake system?

Is the GT+ system worth the extra money? How much more performance can I expect. I go to open lapping day at the local road course about 2-3 times per year.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:10 AM

Re: New Baer front rotors or GT+

Only issue with keeping your current setup is if you are getting "spread" calipers. Is the contact of the pad to rotor staying pretty even during your track days? If it is, then I would just get good pads and the Eradispeed rotors. If your calipers are spreading, then look to a better brake setup like the GT+.

Dan
Old 03-30-2005, 10:37 AM

I should have said I plan on going to open lapping day 2-3 times this year. I just got the car last summer and have not had the oppurtunity to take it to the track yet.

I am not sure what you mean by spread calipers. I know the stock rotors will not hold up at the track since I had to get them machined when I bought the car.

I imagin you noticed a big difference going from stock lt1 rotors to the c5 brakes (which I undersand are basically the same as the gt+ 13.15" setup).

Has anyone gone from 12" rotors with stock calipers to the 13.15" gt+ setup? How much difference did it make?

Or did anyone just swap stock rotors with eradispeed rotors? Make a difference?

Last edited by 00 SS; 03-30-2005 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:16 PM

Personally, I don't think I'll ever put a lot of money into rotors. Even the best rotors can warp. The benefit of the two piece rotor(eradispeed) is less weight, and less heat to your bearings. Your car is going to stop the same whether or not it's a two piece rotor.

Caliper spreading is when the forces and heat are so strong on the caliper that the inside edge(closest to center of rotor) of the caliper and pad don't put as much force on the rotor. Basically, the force you are trying to put on the rotors is pushing the caliper apart, but more so on the bottom. Hope that makes sense.

If it were me, I would buy some inexpensive rotors and good track pads for the track days and swap them on, then take them back off for street driving.

Dan