Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

New brake pads scraping sound normal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 08:28 PM

Question New brake pads scraping sound normal?

Ok, just finished my second F-body brake pad install. Followed the Hanes manual. Everything went fine.

Good news is the brakes work. Bad news is there is a scraping sound once per rotation of the wheel. I know it's coming from both the driver's and passenger sides. I know at least one rear wheel is involved as I put it up on a jack and turned in manually. It is definitely coming from the brake pad assembly.

My question is should I be worried? Did I install something wrong? Is this normal? Are the pads just wearing in? The rotors were machined about two years ago and my old brake pads didn't make this sound.

Even if you don't know what is wrong I'd like to hear from people who have done brake pad installs on their F-bodies and wether they heard this noise too.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2008, 01:16 PM

check the clips that go in the calipers, i have had those rub on the rotor before if they are aftermarket.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:31 PM

dust shield?
Old 04-07-2008, 05:14 PM

I don't know what a dust shield is?

Thanks for the suggestion about the clips. I took the wheel off and could see one of those clips rubbing against the rotor but it would only do it once a revolution. It seemed that the rotor was moving in a elliptical/oval pattern. I reseated everything so it wouldn't touch anymore.

Took the car for another spin and it sounds much better although the sound is still barely there. I think braking moved things. Got the car up on jack-stands again and spun all wheels. Couldn't hear anything scraping.

One more point of confusion. Are the pads supposed to be touching the rotors when the brakes are not engaged? I mean, I can spin the wheel and you can hear the pads against the rotors. The wheel doesn't spin very long before coming to a stop because of the friction. Is this normal?
Old 04-07-2008, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by REVZ
I don't know what a dust shield is?

Thanks for the suggestion about the clips. I took the wheel off and could see one of those clips rubbing against the rotor but it would only do it once a revolution. It seemed that the rotor was moving in a elliptical/oval pattern. I reseated everything so it wouldn't touch anymore.

Took the car for another spin and it sounds much better although the sound is still barely there. I think braking moved things. Got the car up on jack-stands again and spun all wheels. Couldn't hear anything scraping.

One more point of confusion. Are the pads supposed to be touching the rotors when the brakes are not engaged? I mean, I can spin the wheel and you can hear the pads against the rotors. The wheel doesn't spin very long before coming to a stop because of the friction. Is this normal?
Yes, pads are supposed to gently be engaged with the rotors at all times.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:38 AM

ya its supposed to ride against it like the last poster stated, but if your still getting the swoosh sound heavy in one spot, then you either need the rotors machined again or replaced. They may have a slight warp to them. It is always recommended to at least have them machined when changing pads as little things like this creep up on ya. Not always, but a lot of the time. A light turn can work wonders if its not too warped. You generally want the rotor almost glass smooth, no knicks or scratches/grooves. Drive it for a day or two and see if it goes away altogether, if not then check your local parts store for prices on turning.