Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

New calipers, rotors, pads....proper procedures?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 11:49 PM

Question New calipers, rotors, pads....proper procedures?

Sometime next week ill be putting on new rotors, pads and calipers and just want to go over everything to make sure im going to do it all correctly.

The calipers are remans from Pepboys and ill be painting them up before I put them on. My question regarding these is do I need to do anything special once I connect the brake line to them? I plan on bleeding the whole system once everything is hooked up but should I be doing anything other than that to the new calipers? Also, how should I keep air from entering and all the fluid from escaping the line when I have it disconnected from the caliper?

Regarding bleeding procedures...I have both ABS and ASR and I do not have access to that special tool they say that you are supposed to need. My brakes have been bleed in the past without that tool and it seems to have worked out fine. I however did not do the bleeding. So with that being said this is how I am planning on bleeding my brakes...feel free to correct/offer advice.

1) Remove majority of old fluid in fluid reservoir and replace with new fluid.
2) Place plastic tube on bleeder screws on ABS module with other end of tube in container
3) Person in vehicle presses brake pedal and I open bleeder screws. Old fluid and air flow out.
4) Close bleeder screw and person in vehicle releases pedal.
5) Repeat until no air and only new fluid comes out.
6) Repeat on other ABS bleeder screw then move to the Right Rear, Left Rear, Front Right, Front Left.

Thanks for any and all help!
Old 05-29-2007, 01:19 PM

You have the Idea down. Just make sure you pump it a couple times before holding the pedal down.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:32 PM

Gotcha. What ive seen on here hasnt mentioned the pumping but its probably a thing thats common sense and is left out. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2007, 10:36 PM

if you take the line out of the old caliper quickly and swap it right into the new one you should only have to bleed that particular line, i do it all the time and never bleed the other brakes or abs module
Old 05-30-2007, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by dangalla
if you take the line out of the old caliper quickly and swap it right into the new one you should only have to bleed that particular line, i do it all the time and never bleed the other brakes or abs module
very good point. Or you can use a brake line Pincher to keep the fluid from leaking alot and make it easier all around.