Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

New front brakes...smoking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:42 PM

New front brakes...smoking?

I put new autozone $30 rotors on each front brake along w/ Gran Sport pads from Tirerack (seemed like a good price for some performance pads) I go them together and done, went to go beed them in. I did a few low speed brakes ( not until I was completely stopped) then a few high speed brakes as well and was very easy on the brakes the whole trip (15minutes) and went back home and let them cool. Today I took the car to the store and treated the brakes like normal, everything was fine until on the way back home I have to go down this big hill which has a light right at the end. So I had to brake fairly hard and for a good 10 seconds. I come to a stop and see my brakes and smoking and smelling. I go another couple blocks to a gas station and one of them seemed hotter then the other and smelled. The passengers side one seemed fine. But I saw smoke from both.

Is this normal for pad break in??? I did put some spray on the rotors which was conditioning for new pads to prevent squeeking.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:36 PM
Banned

its whatever conditioner you put on there........I did that once on a customers car...BG stuff......it smoked like hell....I ran the crap out of it and it stopped after a while, I never used it after that
Old 05-28-2007, 09:37 PM

Ive used autozone rotors many times in the past. No problems. There rotors are not bad, its their pads that suck. But anyways..

There is 38k on the calipers.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by mdacton
its whatever conditioner you put on there........I did that once on a customers car...BG stuff......it smoked like hell....I ran the crap out of it and it stopped after a while, I never used it after that
The stuff I sprayed is like a silverish stuff that goes on the rotor. But I though all of that would have burned off already..odd. I'll see if it still does it after a couple days of driving to work.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:45 PM
Banned

same stuff I used was silver but came in a little thing you had to brush it on and let it soak for 30 min.

Just take it easy a few days....it should be fine, any chance you have or know someone that has a temp gun? the laser type?.....just point and shoot it at each rotor...see how much difference there is in temp.

Shouldn't be more than 50* or so
Old 05-28-2007, 09:52 PM

Don't know anyone with a temp gun....at the gas station I could noticebly put my face by the rotor on the drivers side and feel the heat, the passengers side wasnt as bad. Coulda been the wind too. Maby I'm over analyzing I guess I'll see how it does on the way to work tommrow. Thanks for the help..

Oh and the stuff I sprayed on was in an aerosole can. worked like spray paint.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:05 AM

Its got to be the treatment you applied, I've used all types of pads and rotors in the past, the AZ stuff being some of them, they never just randomly started smoking.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:18 AM

ya seemed like it stopped. Nice, now I just need to swamp out these ****tty az pads on the rears they are always squeeken.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:34 AM

You put some stuff on the rotor? ha ha ha. Never do that. The most you should put is that Anti-noise stuff you put on the back part of the Pad. And when you install new rotors make sure you clean the contact surface with some carb spray to remove any grease/oil that is added to prevent rust.
but I repeat myself, never put anything on the rotor or the face of the pads.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:06 PM

Use disc brake quiet...