Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

new rotors and pads....change brake fluid too?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 10:41 PM

new rotors and pads....change brake fluid too?

on the box it says to change the brake fluid with new pads and rotors. the fluid looks alright. its not dark but not clear either. I dont know when it was last changed. Ive been having pulling problems too and i dont know whats causing it. I also dont know how to change brake fluid.

also, would it be safe too put on these new rotors and pads before fixing the pulling. I dont want to mess up the new stuff incase its brake related.

my car has abs.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:15 PM

You don't have to change your brake fluid but it's a good idea. Brake fluid absorbs moisture over time causing the brake pedal to feel spongy.

Changing the fluid is straight forward. You siphon out the old fuild in the reservoir and replace with new. Then you start at the farthest wheel from the reservoir (passenger side rear) and connect a piece of small clear tubing to the brake valve. Open the fluid valve and have a friend push the brake pedal to push the fluid out. Close the valve the have them release the pedal. Repeat this process (open valve - push, close valve - release pedal) until you see the color of the fluid change to the new lighter color. Periodically monitor the reservoir to top off the fluid level. Once you obtain fresh fluid, move on to the next closest brake (driver's side rear) and repeat the process.