Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

New Rotors, what pads?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 02:04 PM

New Rotors, what pads?

I ordered a set of cross drilled and slotted rotors from WS6store and was wondering what pads I should go with for these rotors? http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=1598

I was thinking Hawk performance HPS pads http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...bd264cbc2a84f7

Any suggestions?
Old 01-23-2006, 05:40 PM

Re: New Rotors, what pads?

I don't know anything about those rotors but that's wicked cheap. I've Never heard of Dora.
I guess you could use those hawk Pads, I use those pads on my slotted rotors.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:07 PM

I'm waiting to see how much those front rotors weigh. For that price, they're probably a light casting.

For pads, I've been looking at Axxis/PBR. From what I've read the Axxis Matal masters have the same performance of the HPS, but with a better feel and they're less expensive.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:13 PM

I'm using the Hawk pads and Power slotted rotors from Speed Inc. My braking improved I'm guessing 20-30%. I believe most of it's due to the Hawk pads. I'd use them again.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:15 PM

One front rotor weight approx 16 lbs. Just a FYI, we have them on a couple company test cars and they have held up well to our abuse
Old 01-24-2006, 05:45 PM

That is light. Too light for me.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:54 AM

Hawk HPS are perfect for the street. Just a little dusting, and quiet, and grab very well. If it's a track car, look to the Hawk HP+, but it's going to dust a LOT and works better once warmed up a little.

I have the Hawk HPS pads on my C5 conversion, and I love them.

Dan
Old 01-26-2006, 02:17 PM

doesn't everyone say that the slotted and drilled rotors aren't any good for street cars. What about just slotted ones?
Old 01-26-2006, 03:24 PM

Drilled don't serve any practical purpose. It used to be for off gassing of the pads, but that's not really an issue anymore. The slots can be a benefit to remove water from between the pad and rotor, but if the pads are designed correctly, slots are not really a benefit. Anytime you remove material from the blank rotor, you weaken it, and reduce the heat sink mass to pull heat from your calipers/brakefluid/pads. In summary, drilled rotors are all bling, and to a great extent so are slotted rotors.

Dan
Old 01-26-2006, 10:08 PM

I went with the Hawk HPS pads. I'll post up pics of the rotors when they go on the car.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:20 PM

what is the Wt. of a stock rotor? And how does WT. play a roll in how good they stop? how much Better would these Rotors be over stock? any one have any ideas? Just Slot'd all 4 coners. I need to do breaks this spring and that looks like a good deal!
Old 01-27-2006, 06:20 PM

I'm really thinking about it myself. The deal seems great. My only issue is how long will the rotors last compared to stock since they cant be turned.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:07 PM

I don't know why greed says that those rotors are too light. I just bought a set of stock front rotors from pepboys don't remember the brand but they are 16lbs a peice too. But I do agree with him that drilled and slotted are useless.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:01 AM

More for the look.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:51 PM

Weight plays a huge roll in how well rotors perform. I'll put it in simple terms. Rotors are a heat sink. The more mass that there is, the more energy (friction in this case) it will take to get them to a certain temp. Hit your brakes hard for a given amount of time on a light rotor and they'll heat up quicker and to a higher degree. Do the same on heavier rotors and they heat slower and to a lower degree. You get your rotor hot and the pads will be out of their temp range and thats when you get brake fade.

Lighter rotors also cool quicker, which allows for easier warpage. Ever wonder why they run cool down laps at races? Partially to let the brakes cool gradually.

16 lbs is LIGHT. IIRC stockers weight about that which is why they suck so bad. Brembo blanks weigh ~19 lbs and even the CHEAP Valuecraft $25 rotors at Autozone weigh ~19 lbs (19.45 lbs according to their website). Baer Decelerator x-drilled/slotted weight almost 21 lbs.

Still sound like they're a good buy?

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 01-28-2006 at 01:07 PM.

Quick Reply: New Rotors, what pads?