Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

New wheels/tires....need suspension upgrade advice!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 07:20 AM

Question New wheels/tires....need suspension upgrade advice!!!!!

Just installed my new z06 wheels - 275/40R17 in the front and 295/35R18 in the rear. I had to remove the bump stops and do a little bit of grinding to make the rears fit...but they look sweet!!

Anyways...I need some advice for my suspension upgrades. I have a new set of Eibach Pro-Kit springs, but have no clue what shocks I need. Also with the addition of the new wheels, do I need single adjustable panhard bars and lower control arms?

I'm not looking to road race the car, but I would like it to handle better and get rid of body roll.

Any suggestions would be extremely helpful!
Old 08-05-2008, 11:10 AM

Removing the bumpstops is not a great idea. They are part of the rear suspension.

You don't need to replace the control arms. An adjustable panhard is necessary only if you have rubbing issues that will be fixed by adjusting the centering of the rear axle.

If you want to change body roll, get stiffer swaybars. Sam Strano sell good ones.

Which shocks always seems to come down to whether you are willing to spend enough to get Konis or will you settle for something that will be "good enough"
Old 08-05-2008, 12:31 PM

actually i just looked and i didnt take the bumpstops off. I just grounded the lip off so it would cut into the tires.

I dont have any rubbing issues, but when I install the pro-kit, will rubbing occur?

As for shocks, do I need to install new ones for the pro-kit, or will the stock ones work?
Old 08-05-2008, 02:33 PM

Dont buy any eibach spring kit. They are junk. Horrible mis match for the front and rear spring rates. I would get springs from Sam Strano. www.stranoparts.com. Get them or BMR or Hochkins(sp).

Just dont buy the eibach kit. Get an adjustable panhard rod arm, a single adj would be fine.

I have the same rim setup as you. I have to run 1/4 inch spacers in the rear to keep them from rubbing. I also had to pound out the wheel wells. So beware, you may rub on hard corners.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by slomarao
Dont buy any eibach spring kit. They are junk. Horrible mis match for the front and rear spring rates. I would get springs from Sam Strano. www.stranoparts.com. Get them or BMR or Hochkins(sp).

Just dont buy the eibach kit. Get an adjustable panhard rod arm, a single adj would be fine.

I have the same rim setup as you. I have to run 1/4 inch spacers in the rear to keep them from rubbing. I also had to pound out the wheel wells. So beware, you may rub on hard corners.
Sweet thanks for the advice. What type of shocks/struts are you running?
Old 08-08-2008, 08:25 AM

Koni SA 4/4's. They are the best. Ask sam, as for springs, still stock. I have the car lowered with the shocks. There is two perches you can mount koni's in the front. Im on the lower one, lowered the car 3/4 of an inch. I will be picking up sam's springs and sway bars when i get my comission check at the end of the month.

You really dont need lca's, if you drag race you may get some to prevent wheel hop and thats mainly why people buy them, to get rid of it. But would they be nice to have? Sure, just make sure you dont get poly/poly ends. Get a rubber/poly(rubber to the body for viberations, bumps, etc) or a rubber/roded end, which will help out with deflection.

I would look into sub frame connectors if you dont already have them. When i got mine welded on and picked up the car i remember thinking "god, how did i ever live without these things before". It is a night and day difference. Look into umi's 3pt's, a little stronger than the normal 2pt ones.

And if you have not gave Sam Strano a call yet, what are you waiting for? After a 30min conversation with him you will see things much differently. I always call him before i buy anthing chasis/suspension related. Good luck bud.