Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Next Suspension Mod?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 12:57 PM

Next Suspension Mod?

Alright guys I am trying to make my car handle better on the road. So far I have SFC,STB and the WS6 package. Which mod would be the best for handling. I want to get the suspension as good as possible before adding power.
THANKS
Old 01-06-2005, 01:49 PM

Re: Next Suspension Mod?

The best suspension mod for f-bodies is definitely shocks. They make the biggest difference for handling.

Bilstein HDs are good if you plan on staying with stock springs. Otherwise, I would look to Koni SA fronts and 3rd gen Bilstein HD rears.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:03 PM

You think the bilsteins are better than the shocks that come on the WS6 package?
Old 01-06-2005, 06:15 PM

isnt the ws-6 package the same as teh SS package on camaros?? Bilstein are the optional shocks and yes i belive they are better performance than the stock ones
Old 01-06-2005, 07:57 PM

Even if they are Bilsteins, I believe the are SLP spec and not Bilstein HD. I could be wrong, though.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:30 AM

if you dont do shocks...go with control arms or torque arm. or wider-lighter wheels
Old 01-07-2005, 11:48 AM

Slp Blistein are "weaker" than the HD's.

IF you don't want to get shocks

Get a front sway bar 35 soild or hollow about 200 bucks
Subframes

Add power
Old 01-07-2005, 04:30 PM

Cool I guess I will go with the LCA's if they make a big difference, I am also trying to find some bilstein HD's. Thanks guys
Old 01-07-2005, 04:38 PM

The LCAs will make a difference, but I don't know if I would call it huge.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:43 PM

I think the best way for you to go would be tubular LCA's, weld in SFC's and a sway bar.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by RedHottG2
I think the best way for you to go would be tubular LCA's, weld in SFC's and a sway bar.
and some lca relocation brackets for traction
Old 01-10-2005, 06:40 PM

Shocks first, then I'd recommend at least a larger front swaybar. There is nothing you can do to the car that is better than installing good dampers. Hell, there's not much you can do in big groups of parts that help as much as shocks do. The biggest, best effect of any suspension component. I like bigger front swaybars as a second choice (assuming you aren't looking at springs anyway).

So in short, Shocks, shocks, shocks. Front swaybar, then a lot of other things. But those two things make so much difference, many folks stop there since they get what they wanted without throwing the kitchen sink at the car.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by 01 FS Z28
But those two things make so much difference, many folks stop there since they get what they wanted without throwing the kitchen sink at the car.
That's the truth. Listen to Sam. I bought my stuff from him. I have the 35mm front sway bar, and Bilstein HD shocks and there is a HUGE difference in the way the car handles. It feels like a sportscar now, not a slushy handler.

I'm trying to find other suspension mods that would help more, but these two mods have made such a big difference that it's hard to justify a lot of other things.

I also noticed a BIG difference by switching to the SS rims, with 275/40-17 Goodyear F1 GS-D3 tires. Awesome setup. Love the tires/rims.

I'd still do the sway bar and shocks first though.

Dan
Old 01-13-2005, 06:39 PM

I have a question...I just put in some Hotchkis SFC's and next month I'll be putting in Bilstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs & Sway Bars. I have 17 inch x 9.5 wheels with 275/40 tires and I was wondering if I'll have any issues from lowering my Z because I wanna make sure I'm prepared for the unexpected. I'll be doing the work myself and I'm not sure how the car will react since someone told me I might have wheel hop but wasnt sure what that meant. I was told about issues with rear wheel alignment to where I need a adjustable PHR or reloacted mounts for lower control arms but isnt that a case-by-case basis at not really a must to be concerned about.? I wanna get some feedback of what I should be prepared for cuz after I put everything in and if I come across some issues, I wanna make sure I have money and time to fix it so my car isnt stuck in the driveway...Anyhow.. thanks

Originally Posted by 01 FS Z28
Shocks first, then I'd recommend at least a larger front swaybar. There is nothing you can do to the car that is better than installing good dampers. Hell, there's not much you can do in big groups of parts that help as much as shocks do. The biggest, best effect of any suspension component. I like bigger front swaybars as a second choice (assuming you aren't looking at springs anyway).

So in short, Shocks, shocks, shocks. Front swaybar, then a lot of other things. But those two things make so much difference, many folks stop there since they get what they wanted without throwing the kitchen sink at the car.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Z06Z28
I have a question...I just put in some Hotchkis SFC's and next month I'll be putting in Bilstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs & Sway Bars. I have 17 inch x 9.5 wheels with 275/40 tires and I was wondering if I'll have any issues from lowering my Z because I wanna make sure I'm prepared for the unexpected. I'll be doing the work myself and I'm not sure how the car will react since someone told me I might have wheel hop but wasnt sure what that meant. I was told about issues with rear wheel alignment to where I need a adjustable PHR or reloacted mounts for lower control arms but isnt that a case-by-case basis at not really a must to be concerned about.? I wanna get some feedback of what I should be prepared for cuz after I put everything in and if I come across some issues, I wanna make sure I have money and time to fix it so my car isnt stuck in the driveway...Anyhow.. thanks
You'll get a number of opinions, and I'll preface this commentary with the fact that from time to time I'll use Hotchkis stuff (where warranted).

1. The Bilstein HD's are too soft to properly damp the Hotchkis rates. This means you could do it, and it'd be a lot better than the stock shocks, but still lack all the rebound control the spring want and need. The result, which gets more apparent over time is extraneous movement after a suspension compression (float), less stability (have to make more and more little correction all the time), and a ride that gets worse. This happens because out of the box the shocks are just barely able to do the job of damping the springs, and as the shock wears you very quickly end up underdamped. I prefer to start out a touch overdamped so that as the shock wears into it's normal place you end up with the right damper over the life of the shock. And you get much better control and stability too.

2. Hotchkis parts are very nice quality, and the front bar is great. But I feel the rear bar is too large @ 25mm. You get more oversteer than is desired when you have a properly working front end (one reason for such a big rear bar is to balance a not optimized front suspension). You get more trouble with getting power down out of corners since bigger and bigger bars try and pick up the inside rear when cornering. And lastly I feel the bar is too big because in combination with the first couple of points in "2" it makes worse the solid axle's tendency to skip around a bit over uneven surfaces; particularly the types that have little ripple bumps.

3. You do need an adjustable PHB, but I disagree that you *need* control arms or even relocation brackets. I don't run them, my car is lowered in the rear more than your will be, and I've won 2 SCCA Championships without them. Also, please note there are different types and designs of PHB. The ones that adjust in the middle are ones I'd stay away from. They are weaker than the ones that adjust on the end. Also you have bushinged and rod-ended bars as well. Each have their pro's and con's as well.

Suspensions are not easy to setup right. They are easy to screw up.
I'd recommend taking your time, reading a lot and asking questions.

Quick Reply: Next Suspension Mod?