Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Noise while turning?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 08:43 AM

Noise while turning?

I am starting to get a noise from the front of my car when i turn the wheels and it's not a wine or a sqweak but more like an uuugghhh. I can here it pretty good while under the car. I checked the reservoir and it's full of fluid and I don't see any leaks from underneath the car around the ps pump or the rack and pinion. Could the pump be going bad? The car just hit 70k miles. Thanks

Last edited by Red97LT1; 05-27-2006 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:10 AM

Re: Noise while turning?

Your question could be a # of things. What size brakes/wheels do you have? It is remotely possible that if you are aftermarket, they could be rubbing. Just off of the top of my head, I would guess that it is more likely a wheel bearing going bad though. Thats where I would start.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by CALL911
Your question could be a # of things. What size brakes/wheels do you have? It is remotely possible that if you are aftermarket, they could be rubbing. Just off of the top of my head, I would guess that it is more likely a wheel bearing going bad though. Thats where I would start.
I had checked the reservoir while the car was warm,not hot. I drove around awhile to get the fluid hot and checked it and it was on the cold mark. I added a little to bring it to hot level and it's starting to quiet down a little. Surely,it can't be that simple.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:19 PM

Mine is doing almost the same thing (little bimping/rubbing noise). I am pretty sure its hte polyeurethane bushings on my swaybar though.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:11 PM

Could also be the brake calipers rubbing, or tie rod ends. If it's a constant noise then it's probably not the rod ends.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:52 AM

If it is at all related to your power stearing, you should notice a difference in your stearing capability (in other words, you should have noticed it harder to steer at times), or you will hear a low toned wine when you go to steer. If that is the case, then your pump may be going out. If it is not the case, then I still would guess it is something in your suspension as suggested before. When is the last time the front wheel bearings have been changed? How many miles are on the car? Is it a noise that can be heard while at a stop and turning the wheel? Or is it only while you are moving? If you are hearing a very low toned sound, almost like a grind, then I am still guessing it is your wheel bearing.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:51 PM

I have changed my mind to as what it sounds like,it sounds like the little winning noise that you get when you turn your wheels lock to lock. As for having harder steering.I haven't noticed any.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:29 PM

Just decided to take the car to the local mechanic. He thinks that it is the upper ball joint,not the ps pump. He went ahead and soaked all the rubber bushings to see if that would help. Told me to give it around 20 miles to see if it stops. If not.then I should just replace the upper ball joint.He said that it was a simple bolt on and I only really needed a pickle fork to knock it loose.Has anyone done this?Thanks
Old 05-30-2006, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Red97LT1
Just decided to take the car to the local mechanic. He thinks that it is the upper ball joint,not the ps pump. He went ahead and soaked all the rubber bushings to see if that would help. Told me to give it around 20 miles to see if it stops. If not.then I should just replace the upper ball joint.He said that it was a simple bolt on and I only really needed a pickle fork to knock it loose.Has anyone done this?Thanks
I had a noise coming from mine up front, but I would notice it just by normal driving fast on a less than flat highway, or every once in a while when I would stop. I replaced my upper ball joints, and it did nothing. It ended up being my lower ball joints, to which I ordered some Heavy Duty ones from Moog, but got impatient on waiting for them in the mail so got some stock replacements and it fixed the noise. If it ends up being your lower ones, and not your upper ones, I now have my Moog Heavy Duty ones for sale. They are a factory replacement only less expensive, and they handle and hold up better. Let me know, since I have been talking with you on your issue, I'll cut you a deal on them if interested.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by CALL911
I had a noise coming from mine up front, but I would notice it just by normal driving fast on a less than flat highway, or every once in a while when I would stop. I replaced my upper ball joints, and it did nothing. It ended up being my lower ball joints, to which I ordered some Heavy Duty ones from Moog, but got impatient on waiting for them in the mail so got some stock replacements and it fixed the noise. If it ends up being your lower ones, and not your upper ones, I now have my Moog Heavy Duty ones for sale. They are a factory replacement only less expensive, and they handle and hold up better. Let me know, since I have been talking with you on your issue, I'll cut you a deal on them if interested.
How hard was the lower ones to install? Like I metioned,the mechanic told me the tops were basically a piece of cake.I'll keep you in mind on the lowers. Probably will be later in the week before I get to replace the uppers.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:29 AM

I had a mechanic replace my lowers, so I don't know on the level of difficulty. I know the uppers were a pain to change. Let me know if you want my Moog Heavy Duty lowers.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:13 PM

I think that I may have gotten lucky. The car isn't many any kind of noise now. Maybe it was the rubber bushings the whole time.