Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Ok.. a newb to the "suspension world" need advice for his first Camaro!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 08:17 PM
Banned

Question Ok.. a newb to the "suspension world" need advice for his first Camaro!

ok.. I am totaly new to "suspension". I know enough about engines and shat.. but I konw almost NOTHING about suspension.
If people could help me with what kind of shocks/struts to buy, sway bars, etc.. that wold be greatly appreciated.
What I am looking for:
A nice gripping, street-type of suspension setup. I am looking to haul around a 20mph corner going about 60.. and still digging in. BUT.. I also want the thing to go in a straight line while still grabbing the pavement nicely

ANY help would be appreciated, as I pretty much dont know whta I am doing.
THanx all,
Matt
Old 11-14-2004, 09:28 PM

Re: Ok.. a newb to the "suspension world" need advice for his first Camaro!

I have been asking the same questions from the guys on this board. The best advice they gave me was to research before I start.

Do some searching on google. Read your Haynes Manual. Read the specs on the different companies (ie. eibach, koni, bilstein etc.)

Sure it would be fun flying around a 20 mph corner at 60 but are you willing to give us a smooth ride as a daily driver to get that? Lot of things you have to think about. I would recomend an adjustable set-up. It costs a little more money but when you want to fly around a corner all you do is 'dial it in' then when the fun is over just 'dial it down' to get a smooth ride again.

Suspension is important. Make sure you get the right set up for what you need. You get what you pay for.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:41 AM

STEP 1: sub frame connectors

STEP 2: TIRES

STEP 3: just about any spring...go according to what you can afford and the drop you want. i would look into BMR. or if you don't want to drop it, maybe search for some 3rd gen 1LE or IROC springs...much stiffer than stock z28. and mate that with some bilstein shocks.

STEP 4: BMR sway bars

and realize that steps 1 and 2 are most important. body flex in 3rd gens is reduculus, and no matter how many suspension mods you have...crappy tires are just that...crappy...they are the actualy contact between a built suspension and the road...don't overlook them
Old 11-15-2004, 09:07 AM

Tires, yes. Important. But as far as suspension, SFC's first before anything. If you want to play in the corners, front sway. PHB, STB and rear sway help a little, but you won't see a huge difference with these three. If you want straight line traction, I would do LCA's first, then if you still had money do a TA. Shocks and springs should be thrown in there as well for overall performance.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:18 AM

SFCs do not make as big a difference as everyone thinks. Yes, they are worthwhile on a t-top/convertible car to help with bodyflex, but there are plenty of serious autox/roadcourse drivers that don't use them. Jump over to frrax.com (this is where all the serious handling folks hang out) and search/post and you'll get lots of help.

Anyway, the very first things I'd recommend would be:
SHOCKS!!! The stock decarbon shocks are absolutely horrible. Either get some Bilsteins or Koni shocks and you'll notice a huge difference in handling. Also, since you have to take the front suspension apart to change the shocks, it would be a perfect time to change the springs as well. Probably the best setup would be to call Sam at stranoparts.com and get a set of coilover springs and his custom valved Bilstein shocks to match.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:38 AM

Shocks and tires before anything thing else.

Then perhaps sway bars.

I have SFC, along with dash rattles and more vibration, stiffer structure vibrates at different frequency. They tune the car for a certain vibration frequency when you change that, wierd things can happen

Most of the advice you will get is wrong.

Stranoparts.com will give you some good advice.

LT4 has it right.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:06 PM
WOT

One thing a couple of people are overlooking is that he has a third gen.

Good shocks will make the biggest difference. Put your money into shock before subframe connectors. Between the two you're much better off with quality shocks. I'd recommend Koni's or have Sam Strano revalve some Bilsteins for you. Then maybe a bigger front bar. If you're into drag racing that setup won't hinder you too much. You can't have both a great handling car and a good drag racing suspension-hence why I didn't mention lowering springs.

And of course a good set of tires.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:17 PM

personally my sway bars made the MOST noticable difference in the cars composure in curves and corners.

SFC were second

granted i don't have springs/shocks yet.

i still stand by my recommendation of SFC first...considering the age of the car, and the design of the unibody for the third gen being less ridgid than the 4th gens.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by 85_305
ok.. I am totaly new to "suspension". I know enough about engines and shat.. but I konw almost NOTHING about suspension.
If people could help me with what kind of shocks/struts to buy, sway bars, etc.. that wold be greatly appreciated.
What I am looking for:
A nice gripping, street-type of suspension setup. I am looking to haul around a 20mph corner going about 60.. and still digging in. BUT.. I also want the thing to go in a straight line while still grabbing the pavement nicely

ANY help would be appreciated, as I pretty much dont know whta I am doing.
THanx all,
Matt
SFC's, for the long-term durability more than anything else.

Fred Puhn's "How to Make Your Car Handle", for an introduction to the tech without having to sift through very much opinion. Softcover, still under $20, I think. There are other books that are also pretty good, but IMO they aren't written quite as objectively.

Decide if you just want a crisp-handling daily driver or if you're going to get serious about autocross or open-track lapping. Setups differ somewhat, and in auto-x too many mods or even just a single specific one can toss you into a class in which you will not be competitive.

Don't just think throwing parts at it is the end of it. Just like with an engine, tuning will bring out more performance. Only instead of A/F and ignition advance you have camber and toe (just to name a couple of things for either).

About those speeds. Forget that posted speed number, as it is meaningless for comparing before and after mods. Any corner that you could take at 60 after a fairly serious collection of mods (but still street-legal and on legitimate street tires) you'd already be able to take at 50 or a little better if everything is in good shape.

Norm
Old 11-15-2004, 04:04 PM

On most any Camaro, the biggest improvements will be shocks and tires. Then subframes, swaybars, etc.

You'll get a million people who know what they are talking about on the internet, but I suggest calling a person who can back it up with things like SCCA National Championships. Not people who say, "My car handles awesome."

*I* would contact Sam Strano if I were you. www.stranoparts.com
Old 11-15-2004, 04:53 PM
Banned

WOW.. thanx for all the great replies Dont know where to start:
the shox on the marrow are stock.. 200k shox. What model bilstein or koni do you recommend? I looked into strano.. that is some EXPENSIVE shiz!
I made a post.. http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...78#post2619478 will these subframes work? I am on a TIGHT budget here. I am totally rebuilding my 305.. and it need to be done april/may-ish to be on the road for a job. I cant even find a focking job right now.. so please remember, money is the key thing here.
What does lowering you car do? Why is it so good for my 3rd gen.. isn't it low enough?
THe stock springs are crap? What should I replace them w/?
Hopefully I will be getting some IROC wheels in place of my stock 215's (LOL).. so that should prolly help quite a bit.
What are the stock roll-bar sizes on my Z?
Thanx a LOT all,
Matt
Old 11-15-2004, 06:34 PM

If you're trying to save money, just stick with stock springs and get some Bilstein HD shocks.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:15 PM
Banned

ok.. so HD is the model of Bilstein, correct? Stock springs are good, or just decent?
Old 11-15-2004, 09:25 PM

You need lots more research!!

You get what you pay for. You'll spend much more money replacing parts you don't like, instead of doing right the first time.

My advice...if you can't afford it...wait.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by 85_305
WOW.. thanx for all the great replies Dont know where to start:
the shox on the marrow are stock.. 200k shox. What model bilstein or koni do you recommend? I looked into strano.. that is some EXPENSIVE shiz!
You will find my pricing is very competitive and (sometimes better) than other shops. I have a HUGE variety of parts. Shocks alone for a 3rd gen: KYB (3 types), Bilstein (2 types), Koni (2 types), Edelbrock, Tokico (2 types), Monroe (2 types)... and that's not all of them either. The cheapest of which start @ well under $200 for a set of 4. But you very much get what you pay for, and $200 shocks are NOWHERE near as good handling & riding or long lasting as the more expensive shocks are.

Shocks are A number 1, ESPECIALLY with the miles you have. I'd also look at replacing the suspension bushings too. Then work from there. Don't go crazy, as the car will handle about...... 400,000 times better with good shocks on it and you'll find you thoughts about thing now will change GREATLY with some decent, let alone really good shocks on the car.

The 3rd gen is a very good handling car stock. It needs very little to work in an excellent manner. I've got a '91 1LE, I won a championship in a friend's '82 Z28. I've got a '01 Z28 which I have two championship in. The 3rd gens are much better handling out of the box than the 4th gens are. But don't skimp. Going half-assed on shocks will cause you to spend a lot more money in the end to try and band-aid the poor shock damping the cheapie shocks got you. That said, ANYTHING would be better than what you have.

Quick Reply: Ok.. a newb to the "suspension world" need advice for his first Camaro!