Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Which one is better?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 10:05 PM

Re: Which one is better?????

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed

As far as which of your choices are better. The thickest sidewalled one. If that is all equal, the least expensive.
Probably a great rule of thumb to go buy. Buy a nicely priced set with good quality and weld them in or get them welded in. I couldn't see paying anymore more than $40 to weld them on for those who may not have access/welding skills, and at that price I sure wouldn't think I was getting any kind of special deal.

Ben T.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by StudyTime
Stronger torsionally? What are they talking about????

You don't want "torsional strength" you want a larger "moment of inertia'. The problem with SFC would be flex not the round/square members twisting (like the action required to remove a screw-on top from a bottle). A larger MOI would prevent flex as this means the members are more resistant to deflection/bending/buckling under a load.

I'm not saying round is better/worse, it depends on thickness and dimensions really, but I just wanted to point this out.

Also, don't get caught up in the thicker the better, because if that were the cae we'd all have rail road steel under out cars, and there's a definite reason we do not- weight. With this being said there is probably a point where the extra stiffness from the thickest SFC is not justified.

If anyone had the cross sectional dimensions I could do some calculations from these in terms of resisitance to bending. I took a civil engineering course or two while studying for my ME degree.

Ben T.
Torsional strength because chassis tend to twist.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
Torsional strength because chassis tend to twist.

Hmmm... now that I think about this, that would be applicable. Okay, I take back 1/2 of my prior post. I do recognize this as one component of the loading that would be on the SFC's, but for it to be purely torsional the chassis would have to be pivoting around the sfc, and that can't happen. So, it is safe to say it would be a combined loading of torsional and a bending "torque"/moment on them as well. Which one is more relevant to these cars, I don't know...

Ben
Old 09-05-2005, 11:26 PM

Bolt on subframe connectors work just fine. The SLP SFC is such a better unit than the rest of them that they're probably stronger bolted on than most are welded one. My bolt ons work just fine. They dont come loose (custom hardware), and they havent elongated any holes. The difference in overall strength is minimal. lol at the people who insist that they suck
Old 09-06-2005, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by 5.0THIS
The SLP SFC is such a better unit than the rest of them that they're probably stronger bolted on than most are welded one.
And I guess you have tried ALL other brands out there to confirm this? Thats a pretty big statement....
Old 09-06-2005, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by NOSCaMaRo
And I guess you have tried ALL other brands out there to confirm this? Thats a pretty big statement....
It doesnt take an expert to look at the design and materials and know which one will be most effective. Somebody posted some pictures of the KB diamond connectors and they were bent to **** and alot more flimsy than the SLPs.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:38 PM

It doesnt take an expert to look at the design and materials and know which one will be most effective. Somebody posted some pictures of the KB diamond connectors and they were bent to **** and alot more flimsy than the SLPs.
I agree the SLPs are a better set-up then the KBBs but I still think there is better set-ups out then SLP's. They hang low and to many people are having to grind holes bigger for fitment.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by NOSCaMaRo
I agree the SLPs are a better set-up then the KBBs but I still think there is better set-ups out then SLP's. They hang low and to many people are having to grind holes bigger for fitment.
I had to elongate a couple of holes about 1/8 to 1/16th of an inch to get them to fit. I dont know why anyone would whine about having to do that. Doesnt make them any lesser of a subframe connector. I dont think there are any SFCs for 4th gen cars that are stronger.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:12 PM
Administrator

I had to elongate a couple of holes about 1/8 to 1/16th of an inch to get them to fit. I dont know why anyone would whine about having to do that. Doesnt make them any lesser of a subframe connector. I dont think there are any SFCs for 4th gen cars that are stronger.
So.... you "elongated" the holes? Doesn't that provide room for the bolts to slip?
Old 09-07-2005, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
So.... you "elongated" the holes? Doesn't that provide room for the bolts to slip?
No, because the other holes hold them tightly in place. They havent moved at all