Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

opinion on brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 12:33 PM

opinion on brake upgrade

Ihave a 95 and am considering going to ls1 brakes. I can get akit for around $200. Wanted to know if anyone has done this and what kind of difference it made. I just know my buddys ss will stop about 10 timesbetter than my car. Also anybody know where it might be cheaper. thanks.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:36 PM

My suggestion would be not to a "hybrid" conversion rather do a good brake job, rotors turned and balanced, then do some agressive pads. Not a full on race pad but something better than stock. A ceramic or copper compond will give you quite a bit more stopping power and not chew the rotors to bad.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by 944v8inDFW
My suggestion would be not to a "hybrid" conversion rather do a good brake job, rotors turned and balanced, then do some agressive pads. Not a full on race pad but something better than stock. A ceramic or copper compond will give you quite a bit more stopping power and not chew the rotors to bad.
My car doesnt stop bad. I have pretty good rotors and quiet stop plus pads. I just want a considerable difference without going $700.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:55 PM

Good pads, not Autozone replacements, and good brake fluid (dot 4 or 5) and maybe stainless steel brakelines are a good start. Count on a good set of 4 pads being about $150. Mentex or Pagid are good "autocross" type pads that will offer a more agressive stopping reaction. Stainless Steal lines will help a bit as well. And ALWAYS and did I Say ALWAYS change your brake fluid to a high heat fluid. Mind you I am in the german car world and the $150 is an average price of good pads. Not too sure on the americian side.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:59 PM

awesome idea with the LT1 in the 944

before I got my Z, I almost got an '88 944...
Old 07-11-2004, 01:06 PM

Over 400 hp in a less than 2500 pound car that handles very well is a mind bender Put it in top gear mash the gas and it pulls until you run out of road! I love to Decimate the ricers in the hondas with a body kit and loud exhaust After the first light they are too embarassed to pull up by me at the second When you hear the car run with just a supertrapp muffler you know it is all business. More fun than i ever imagined!
Old 07-13-2004, 10:12 AM

I have similar problem.My 96 vert stops like crap.I have quietstop pads front brand new and was thinking of going to new rotors and back pads but think just would like the ls1 front setup.I have an ls1 and it stops fantastic with just kvr rotors and quietstop pads on it with no noise and next to no dusting.

So where can you get this ls1 kit.I already have ls1 rotors to use so do you just need to buy calipers brackets..anyone know exactly what I need to get.?
Old 07-13-2004, 11:24 AM

Re: opinion on brake upgrade

Originally posted by jasonmcf
Ihave a 95 and am considering going to ls1 brakes. I can get akit for around $200. Wanted to know if anyone has done this and what kind of difference it made. I just know my buddys ss will stop about 10 timesbetter than my car. Also anybody know where it might be cheaper. thanks.
I think that sounds good. How are you getting it for so cheap? I've seen it no lower than $300.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:39 AM

Re: opinion on brake upgrade

Originally posted by jasonmcf
200 bucks?? please tell where to find that deal. i was leaning to C5 brakes (doesnt need a spindle change, just a nice fancy bracket) but that set up was going to run 800.

david
Old 07-13-2004, 12:45 PM

I did the LS1 upgrade last year. i have since added Irotors cross drilled rotors, wagner thermo quiet pads. I stop on a dime no fade and no dusting of the pads.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:53 PM

Check out Ebay, I got my upgrade kit for $165. Granted, the rotors werent in that great of shape, but I was planning on getting Powerslots anyways, so it didnt matter.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:54 PM

Oh, and do NOT just turn your rotors. All you are doing is removing material for the brakes to dissapate heat into. If you want something good, and want to do it the right way, at the very least, get some cheap replacement rotors from like Autozone or something. But if you are looking at the LS1 upgrade, do it, its worth it!
Old 07-13-2004, 04:21 PM

i just got my ls1 brakes on, and it makes a big difference. This weekend the hawk hp + pads go on. I can't wait for the autocross in a few weeks.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by eagleknight97
Oh, and do NOT just turn your rotors. All you are doing is removing material for the brakes to dissapate heat into. If you want something good, and want to do it the right way, at the very least, get some cheap replacement rotors from like Autozone or something. But if you are looking at the LS1 upgrade, do it, its worth it!
yes and those autozone rotors are about $40 a piece and thicker then OEM rotors from the dealer
i am extremely pleased with the braking performance of the SL1 brakes over the stock LT1 setup

if you want some really good brake pads, look into EBC brakes, some of the best in the business
Old 07-13-2004, 05:12 PM

Simple, do you have a set of EBC pads on your car? If so, what kind and how do they dust, how loud, how long do they last?

Quick Reply: opinion on brake upgrade