Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Overall Suspension Package

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 11:37 PM

Overall Suspension Package

So I got new wheels/tires, and unfortunately, they are rubbing on the inner wells of the car!(18 x 10.5 275 tire) I hammered in the well as much as i could, and it got better. On my last drive, I suddenly lost control of the vechicle! I slowed down and pulled it up to look at it. It seems as if the Panhard Rod (if that's what it is called..?) detached. ( the straight bar that runs horizontal right near the rearend) I was wondering if this could be why the wheels were rubbing. The company I bought them from suggested to use wheel spacers, even though they said it would fit. They also claim they sold 500 of these sets and no one had any rubbing problems? Maybe because this car has V6 suspension in a V8 drivetrain? I really do not know. Would you guys recommend fixing the current panhard rod, or buying a Granatelli Motorsport one from summit for 149.99? Other than looks, will it do anything significant? I know there is much more grabbing rubber on the ground now so im not sure if i should go all out with the G load brace, Subframe connectors, and Rear control arms in addition to the panhard rod. Your thoughts on this?
Also as far as springs go I'd like to replace them but i am weary about lowering the car due to the wheels. the Eibach's in summit say they drop the car about an inch or so. Also shocks for the car... what do you recommend there? I figure why take everything apart 10 times for the suspension when I could just do it one time the right way...hopefully. Thanks for any help you can offer !
Old 07-02-2005, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Re: Overall Suspension Package

Are they the Z06 18x10.5's with the 58mm offset? That's an 8" backspace wheel.... rubbing on the inner fenders is easilly predictable. You need spacers, but spacers aren't really a good idea. Sometimes its better to get the correct wheels.

The panhard rod centers the body side-to-side over the axle. If you panhard rod was flexing excessively, it would make the rubbing on the inner fenders worse, since you body would be moving sidewards relative to the wheels/axle. That's why people upgrade the stock arm (you didn't say whether yours was stock of aftermarket). Get a high quality ADJUSTABLE panhard rod. I would definitely choose Spohn Performance over Granatelli. You can not beat the quality and value of the Spohn parts.

As far as the rest of the suspension... what do you plan to use the car for? Straight line only, lots of 1/4-mile passes? High speed cornering, Auto-X, etc? Show car, casual driving? Combination of all these? Each of those has different requirements for suspension components and the detailed design of those components. Without knowing how you plan to use it, no one can acurately answer the question.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:53 PM

Re: Overall Suspension Package

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Are they the Z06 18x10.5's with the 58mm offset? That's an 8" backspace wheel.... rubbing on the inner fenders is easilly predictable. You need spacers, but spacers aren't really a good idea. Sometimes its better to get the correct wheels.

The panhard rod centers the body side-to-side over the axle. If you panhard rod was flexing excessively, it would make the rubbing on the inner fenders worse, since you body would be moving sidewards relative to the wheels/axle. That's why people upgrade the stock arm (you didn't say whether yours was stock of aftermarket). Get a high quality ADJUSTABLE panhard rod. I would definitely choose Spohn Performance over Granatelli. You can not beat the quality and value of the Spohn parts.

As far as the rest of the suspension... what do you plan to use the car for? Straight line only, lots of 1/4-mile passes? High speed cornering, Auto-X, etc? Show car, casual driving? Combination of all these? Each of those has different requirements for suspension components and the detailed design of those components. Without knowing how you plan to use it, no one can acurately answer the question.

They are Replica C6 wheels,

I got a BMR one adjustable

I want to use this car for a combination of all these but primary is a show car/ casual. It is not a race car. thanks a lot.