Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 05:14 PM

pads

any advise on which brake pads i should go with. something that would compliment my rotors now that they are drilled/slotted. i hear hawk does a good job in stopping and not to much niose. any help. thanks in advance!!
Old 03-13-2007, 07:46 PM

Drilled/slotted rotors won't do a thing for you except give you some bling and less friction surface and less weight to dissipate heat.

Good pads: Hawk HPS or Axxis (PBR) Metal Masters. Make sure you CHANGE YOUR FLUID too.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:39 PM

so i wont go wrong with a set of hawk pads, and brake fluid. cool!!!
Old 03-13-2007, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
Drilled/slotted rotors won't do a thing for you except give you some bling and less friction surface and less weight to dissipate heat.

Good pads: Hawk HPS or Axxis (PBR) Metal Masters. Make sure you CHANGE YOUR FLUID too.
i agree with the little cross drilled hole causing less surface to grab, but solid blanks i almost ordered were only 18 lbs vs my cross drilled at 20 lbs each.

i put my cd rotors and hawk pads on yesterday, same setup as bayerz28. i asked him how he liked them and him and i both agree they are 100x better than stock. if its only the pads doing this, so be it. i do like th ebling factor too tho since i am ordering z06 rims. hawk is th eway to go, but too early for me to tell, but others dislike the dust they give off. i dont care, i can wipe the rims down, better than peeling myself off a tree from brake fade.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by myslowcamaro
...others dislike the dust they give off. i dont care, i can wipe the rims down, better than peeling myself off a tree from brake fade.
I'll be honest, I've got Hawk HPS pads on my car, and I'm really not happy with how badly they dust, and the fact that they squeal quite a lot (I believe it's in the rear, but it's hard to pin-point from inside the car).

My favorite pads on the car were still the factory ones. I don't know what material they were (ceramic? I don't know???) but they only created a small amount of brake dust, and they never once made a squeak that I remember. Oh, and on the street I NEVER had them fade even once, and I haven't always been a "saint" behind the wheel (had a couple "street races" a few years back, and did a couple "panic stops" from ~120 mph ... scary to say the least, but the brakes were there for me!)

I want to look into a new set of pads AGAIN this year (just got the Hawks last year) ... their performance doesn't seem that "superior", but everything else about them pi$$es me off .

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:57 PM

Check out the KVR pads we sell. They have great stopping power and dusting in minimal. They are also very reasonably priced.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
did a couple "panic stops" from ~120 mph ... scary to say the least, but the brakes were there for me!)

I want to look into a new set of pads AGAIN this year (just got the Hawks last year) ... their performance doesn't seem that "superior", but everything else about them pi$$es me off .
by all means im not calling them superior. my "panic stop" was from full speed (165-170ish) and maybe it was only brake fade, maybe it was gasing, although i dont think my car is that powerful enough to gas the brakes, but i wanted to run that out with a place for the gas to escape, so i go tthe cross drilled rotors. many claim to love organic pads for low dust. i will be getting them for my truck. when i pulled my pads off the other day, they had many heat cracks in them, they were stock. maybe i got a sh*tty set, maybe i run my car harder than you, who knows. trial and error for me. hopefully no error
Old 03-15-2007, 09:03 PM

The whole out gassing concept is very out dated. Modern pads do not outgas. Thus the reason x-drilled rotors are driveway jewelry.

Any fade you feel is because you boiled your fluid or exceeded the heat range of your pads or both. What fluid are you running and how old was it???

I'm running Axxis pads on my daily driver. My wheels are very open w/5 spokes and I don't get much dust. I have slotted rotors too.
I also run ATE Superblue fluid. Even with my stock replacement rotors the difference in feel is night and day compared to stock.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:37 AM

Cross Drilled rotors still have an advantage is wet braking.

Slotted rotors provide better intial bite and help to prevent glazing the pads.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:40 PM

If you have the proper heat range of pad, there is no glazing and is there any proof to the x-drilled = better wet stop theory on a street car? I mean beside the personal stop-o-meter. Tire and pad choice will have a much greater impact on better wet stops than a bunch of little holes in a rotor.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:17 PM

Any fade you feel is because you boiled your fluid or exceeded the heat range of your pads or both. What fluid are you running and how old was it???
that may have been it then, never heard of the fluid boiling. at that time, it was the brake fluid that came with the car, since i just put the new stuff on, i have planned on flushing the fluid. where did you get this super blue?
Old 03-17-2007, 06:46 AM

Brake fluid has an affinity for water so the older it is the less heat it can handle. You really need to change it regularly. I do mine annually. I know some guys that race and they change it after every event. There are other brands out there like Motul that are very good but they can get expensive.

I got my Superblue from a local shop, but Sam Strano sells it also. If you want a decent easily found off the shelf brand, I'd suggest Valvoline syntec or even the Ford stuff.

Your pedal will feel better after you flush your old junk out. I'll bet this is source of the better feel that most people say their braided lines give them.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:04 AM

I'll bet this is source of the better feel that most people say their braided lines give them.
Was that a sarcastic ""??? How would a braided hose give better pedal "feel" than a steel line, that doesn't expand like a rubber hose can?! (unless you're referring to replacing the short pieces of rubber hose between the body and calipers w/braided? )
Old 03-18-2007, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
Was that a sarcastic ""??? How would a braided hose give better pedal "feel" than a steel line, that doesn't expand like a rubber hose can?! (unless you're referring to replacing the short pieces of rubber hose between the body and calipers w/braided? )
Yes, I'm referencing replacing the 4 soft lines out to the calipers with the braided stainless lines. Most people who do this have old fluid they're finally forced to change which makes a nice impact on pedal feel.