Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

which panhard rod?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 12:39 PM

which panhard rod?

i have a 98 v6 camaro. i have 18 inch vette wheels on the rear. i have a stock panhard rod, and i can tell its bent (car was in an accident a long time ago) and i need to re center the rear end.

i want the umi performance one.

do i need a double adjustable one? do i need it to be chrom moly or whatever?

what does chrom moly mean anyways? thanks.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:35 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TrocN98
i have a 98 v6 camaro. i have 18 inch vette wheels on the rear. i have a stock panhard rod, and i can tell its bent (car was in an accident a long time ago) and i need to re center the rear end.

i want the umi performance one.

do i need a double adjustable one? do i need it to be chrom moly or whatever?

what does chrom moly mean anyways? thanks.
No you don't need a chrome-moly, or the double adjustable one.

Just get a single adjustable one.

Chrome-moly is stronger/harder, so it doesn't have to be a thick to have the same strength as lesser metals It's also cost more!

Also known as 4130, this steel is often called chrome-moly because of the chromium and molybdenum concentration .
Old 08-02-2008, 02:47 PM

so what would be the purpose of buying a double adjustable over a single adjustable?
Old 08-02-2008, 08:07 PM

Lightbulb

so what would be the purpose of buying a double adjustable over a single adjustable?
Beside moving up/down it also pivots a little left/right. The purpose of the heim joints being adjustable is that their also replaceable so when they wear-out you just have to replace the Heim Joints, not the bar itself!
Old 08-02-2008, 09:55 PM

so if i need to recenter the rear i only need a single adjustable?

but if i only want to replace bushings in the long run, i should get the double adjustable right?

and as for chrom-moly, is that just a weight reduction feature?
Old 08-02-2008, 11:36 PM

Thumbs up

so if i need to recenter the rear i only need a single adjustable?

but if i only want to replace bushings in the long run, i should get the double adjustable right?

and as for chrom-moly, is that just a weight reduction feature?
Yes

IMO, double adjustable is over kill. The "On Car" single adjustable is what I have now and prefer over the poly/poly non-adjustable , and the double (heim joint)adjustable.

Yeah, strength/ weight reduction.

Last edited by bluz28; 08-02-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bluz28
Beside moving up/down it also pivots a little left/right. The purpose of the heim joints being adjustable is that their also replaceable so when they wear-out you just have to replace the Heim Joints, not the bar itself!
The difference between "single" adjustable panhard rod and "double" adjustable has to do with how you adjust it, not now many adjustments there are. The single adjustable only has a single threaded "end", so you have to remove the end of the bar from the bolt, screw it in or out what you assume is the correct number of turns, then reinstall it to see if you got it right. Double adjustable has two "ends" with opposite hand threads, that allow you to adjust the length of the bar without removing it from the bolts.

Double adjustable is a lot easier to "adjust".... but its simply a matter of convenience. And single or double adjustable has nothing to do with whether it uses a spherical rod end (Heim) or simply poly bushings. You can buy either type in single or double adjustable.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The single adjustable only has a single threaded "end", so you have to remove the end of the bar from the bolt, screw it in or out what you assume is the correct number of turns, then reinstall it to see if you got it right. Double adjustable has two "ends" with opposite hand threads, that allow you to adjust the length of the bar without removing it from the bolts.
absolutely...the double adjustable are usually done so with an adjustable "nut" in the middle of the bar...not at the end like the single adjsutable.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:16 PM

If you want someone to tell you everything you could want to know about one i would call Sam strano. www.stranoparts.com He will set you stright.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:24 PM

Lightbulb

Sorry Injuneer, I'll have to disagree with you . The "On Car" single adjustable is the easiest , IMO to adjust on the car, all the adjustments are done on one end of the panhard bar.

This is what it looks like:

http://www.umiperformance.com/2022?category_id=124
Old 08-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Administrator

And that is "double" adjustable, because it has a PAIR of threads that allow on-car adjustment. A "single" adjustable only has one "thread" and must be removed from the bolt to be turned/adjusted. Doesn't matter whether you put the two threaded sections on the "ends" or on the center adjuster - its still double adjustable. There are no "up and down" adjustments in any case. Only the length is "adjustable".

Mine has the opposite threads, and the adjustment is made with a nut on one end of the bar.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:44 PM

Thumbs up

And that is "double" adjustable, because it has a PAIR of threads that allow on-car adjustment. A "single" adjustable only has one "thread" and must be removed from the bolt to be turned/adjusted. Doesn't matter whether you put the two threaded sections on the "ends" or on the center adjuster - its still double adjustable. There are no "up and down" adjustments in any case. Only the length is "adjustable".

Mine has the opposite threads, and the adjustment is made with a nut on one end of the bar.
OK, you got me there!....My bad!So I guess then it's my single sided double adjustable poly/ heim joint panhard bar(with no up/down adjustment) that's easier to adjust !...

Thanks for the correction,very good point.

Last edited by bluz28; 08-04-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:21 AM

Ok, now I'm confused. I had always thought this one was single adjustable:

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/phr/PHR002_large.jpg

while this one was double adjustable:

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/phr/MPHR003_large.jpg

I have the first one, and can adjust it on the car without pulling out the mounting bolts.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:17 AM

Which ever one you want, contact me for great pricing and free shipping!
Old 08-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Green96Z
Ok, now I'm confused. I had always thought this one was single adjustable:

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/phr/PHR002_large.jpg

while this one was double adjustable:

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/phr/MPHR003_large.jpg

I have the first one, and can adjust it on the car without pulling out the mounting bolts.
BOTH of them can be adjusted with the bar fully installed. I have the second one. The bottom/second one has threads on BOTH rod ends. One is right-hand threaded, and the other is left-hand threaded. You loosen the locknuts on both ends, and use the nut welded to the lower left end (in the picture) of the bar to rotate the bar, making the assembly longer or shorter. ....WITH the ends still on the bolts.

Quick Reply: which panhard rod?