Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

panhard rod relocation kit....?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 03:09 AM

panhard rod relocation kit....?

Never heard of one of these before, saw it on unbalanced engineering's website and lowers the roll center 4 inches... not sure how that effects the handling but im curious to know!
Old 04-14-2004, 11:17 AM

Panhard Rod Relocation Brackets

Laser cut steel brackets that relocate the panhard rod to lower the rear roll center 4 inches and also level it for lowered cars. These brackets result in additional rear grip in all phases of cornering. They require a panhard rod with 3/4" rod ends and a welded installation. Cost $150

Hmm, I have no idea what they are tlaking about? but I would like ot know too.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:29 PM

>BMR has one too http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-body...tm#panhardrods

this is what they say ...
"This kit replaces the upper panhard rod support and relocates the panhard rod allowing enough room for up to dual 3" exhaust routing over the axle. Heavy duty tubular upper panhard rod support mounts in the original panhard rod location. New heavy duty brackets bolt to existing mounting holes and lower the panhard rod while maintaining the correct geometry. No welding or drilling required. Available standard in your color choice of red or black powdercoat, additional colors also available by special order."

they are not cheap either PHR004K $199.95
Old 04-14-2004, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by bowtiepwr
>BMR has one too http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-body...tm#panhardrods

this is what they say ...
"This kit replaces the upper panhard rod support and relocates the panhard rod allowing enough room for up to dual 3" exhaust routing over the axle. Heavy duty tubular upper panhard rod support mounts in the original panhard rod location. New heavy duty brackets bolt to existing mounting holes and lower the panhard rod while maintaining the correct geometry. No welding or drilling required. Available standard in your color choice of red or black powdercoat, additional colors also available by special order."

they are not cheap either PHR004K $199.95
hmm, damn thats not to bad, but for 200 bucks it better come with the panhard too.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:26 PM

So it sounds like you need this just for dual exhaust clearance only, correct? There's no benefits for handling or requirements for lower cars? I have a Corsa exhaust with 3" pipe and I was able to clear the stock panhard rod. Has anyone used one of these?
Old 04-14-2004, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by WestCoast96Z28
So it sounds like you need this just for dual exhaust clearance only, correct? There's no benefits for handling or requirements for lower cars? I have a Corsa exhaust with 3" pipe and I was able to clear the stock panhard rod. Has anyone used one of these?
You can get dual 2 1/2" over. but I think that you have ot put a flat spot in it to do that.
this part would let you have dual 3" go over the axel.
You would have to have some real power for needing that.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:48 PM

Anyone know how it effects handling?
Old 04-14-2004, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by Xride
You can get dual 2 1/2" over. but I think that you have ot put a flat spot in it to do that.
this part would let you have dual 3" go over the axel.
You would have to have some real power for needing that.
>didn't Mufflex have a 4" over the axle exhaust ? I have a Gail Banks Stinger II 3" exhaust that doesn't hit .
Old 04-14-2004, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by bowtiepwr
>didn't Mufflex have a 4" over the axle exhaust ? I have a Gail Banks Stinger II 3" exhaust that doesn't hit .
I thought that went oval to go over the axel???

I have no idea what the purpose is then? might help, looks pretty heavy duty compaired to the stock part.

I remember like 2 years ago when people were having to cut parts to make duals over hte axel fit properly.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:43 PM

Why don't you just email Jason Swindle and ask him?

-B
Old 04-16-2004, 09:01 AM

The BMR piece looks like it lowers passenger side of the upper brace down to the old mounting hole for the actual panhard rod. Not sure how this will help with dual 3" exhaust clearance, but I could see the 4" Mufflex clearing much easier now.

Damn, I was just taking measurements to make something like this last week.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:13 AM

I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has actually tried it, but just on theory any time you can lower the roll center, it will result in flatter cornering, which equals more speed - all else being equal of course, i.e. if you can maintain grip.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by Markbo
I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has actually tried it, but just on theory any time you can lower the roll center, it will result in flatter cornering, which equals more speed - all else being equal of course, i.e. if you can maintain grip.
is this lowering the center though?
Old 04-16-2004, 03:05 PM
Administrator

I think people are posting on two completely different items. The BMR piece is simple a tubular, reshaped upper panhard rod brace that makes room for dual exhausts. That will not alter roll center... won't change anything.

What "lt4 fd" and "Xride" are talking about are Unbalanced Engineering's "brackets" of some sort that appear to RELOCATE the attachment points for the panhard rod. Unfortunately, Unbalanced does not show a picture of these in their online catalog.

The Mufflex 4" catback had a full, round 4" IM pipe. It is not oval or flattened. It fit so tight that is was essentially in full contact with the body and the top of the panhard rod brace.... it couldn't rattle, because it couldn't move. And that wasn't a bad install, since it was installed on my car by Mufflex.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by Injuneer
I think people are posting on two completely different items. The BMR piece is simple a tubular, reshaped upper panhard rod brace that makes room for dual exhausts. That will not alter roll center... won't change anything.

What "lt4 fd" and "Xride" are talking about are Unbalanced Engineering's "brackets" of some sort that appear to RELOCATE the attachment points for the panhard rod. Unfortunately, Unbalanced does not show a picture of these in their online catalog.

The Mufflex 4" catback had a full, round 4" IM pipe. It is not oval or flattened. It fit so tight that is was essentially in full contact with the body and the top of the panhard rod brace.... it couldn't rattle, because it couldn't move. And that wasn't a bad install, since it was installed on my car by Mufflex.
Actually if you look closely the brackets that come with the kit relocate the panhard bar mount down what looks to be about 3" and the upper panhard rod support mounts in the origional panhard rod mounting holes.
Heavy duty tubular upper panhard rod support mounts in the original panhard rod location. New heavy duty brackets bolt to existing mounting holes and lower the panhard rod while maintaining the correct geometry.
That is from bmr's description paragraph of the relocation kit.

As far as unbalanced engineering's kit. Theirs sounds like it just relocates the panhard bar mount without moving the upper panhard rod support and needs to be welded in instead of bolting in like bmr's.

Quick Reply: panhard rod relocation kit....?