Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Parking Brake Adjustment where is it ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 08:32 AM

Parking Brake Adjustment where is it ?

Ok my 1999 z28 Parking Brake needs Adjustment there is too much slack in the cable (I think) when I pull back on it 9 times out of ten its ok, (it still pulls back too far for my liking) But every now and then it feels as if it has come off the ratchet and the lever pulls back way too far and the brake is not engaged !!!.
If I then release the lever the parking brake works ok for sometime ?.
I have been under the car and checked the back brakes and all is OK, I could not see any adjustment points at these areas. At the console which I had great difficulty in pulling appart, as it was I could only loosen it a few inches to see in there but once again I could not see any adjusting points ??? IS THERE ANY ??
Can anyone help ??????

Regards Graeme In Australia
Old 07-09-2006, 09:59 AM

Re: Parking Brake Adjustment where is it ?

http://shbox.com/1/adjparkingbrake.jpg

maybe that will help???
Old 07-10-2006, 08:00 AM

Thanks for the quick response read the info. and think I will show it to my mechanic, THANKS. There has been one development in this quest and that is that the parking Brakes just might be self adjusting, this info you gave me is still valid but I think it is for the setup clearance on each rear wheel caliper.
I am waiting for the original GM workshop Manuals I won on Ebay at the end of June and was told it will take till the end of July to get to me in Australia (Sigh).
I had also won the dvd version some months ago ( not a very good manual as far as diagrams etc) but tonight I found in it a section that said they were self adjusting HMMMMM I wonder ?
Regards Graeme In OZ
Old 07-12-2006, 12:17 AM

SEAWOLF You could be right the Free-Travel could be at both rear wheels Damn looks a bit difficult, OH well will have a good look this weekend thanks SEAWOLF !!!
Old 07-29-2006, 08:16 AM

I have been waiting for my Camaro 1998 Service Manuals to arrive after winning them on Ebay @ MONTHS AGO, my fault as I was to much of a skin flint to pay the extra cash for air mail.
But it was worth the wait, I have now found out that as of 1998 models the hand brake has changed, they now use a seperate shoe system which is self adjusting !!!. But there is an option to set the shoes to a clearence setting inside each rear wheel hub. This I had to do as mine was somewhat out of the recommended clearence ( can quote this if anyone needs it ) now all is ok will just have to take it for a drive tomorrow and check me brakes dont bind-up on the rear . It pays to have a real workshop manual, and not one of those cheap would-be type manuals (no names mentioned as legal repercussions could follow)
Regards all and smokem up.
Graeme In OZ. Damn I love this car !!!!

Last edited by graeme; 10-11-2006 at 07:22 AM.