Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Pics of my ABS Delete

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 04:22 PM

Pics of my ABS Delete

I wanted to clean up my engine bay and make my supercharger install look cleaner so I decided to delete the abs modulator. I did this mod for less than $20 and 3 hours of my time.

Last edited by 97WS6Pilot; 11-28-2009 at 05:53 AM.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:47 PM

Re: Pics of my ABS Delete

pics are too small...give us a link
Old 06-06-2006, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel6718
pics are too small...give us a link
I made the pictures bigger. Parts list for this is:

4 3/16 inverted flare fittings
1 1/4 inverted flare fitting
1 3/16 coupler
1 3/16 3 way tee
1 3/16 male to 1/4 female adapter
1 qt brake fluid

Tube bender Rented from Autozone
Metric Inverted Flare Tool Kit Rented from Autozone
Tube cutter I already had this

All the tubing you need is on the car. No need to buy brake line. No need for a proportioning valve on the back brakes because fronts lock up first.

Last edited by 97WS6Pilot; 06-06-2006 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:15 PM

Well worth the 20 bucks.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by x-40oz-x
Well worth the 20 bucks.
I was very pleased with the way it turned out. The lines tucked away behind the heat shield and looked very professional. I would swear the pedal feels stiffer but it was probably due to bleeding and new fluid.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by 97WS6Pilot
No need for a proportioning valve on the back brakes because fronts lock up first.
Yep and in case of emergency your car will dive,you will loose steering,the back of the car will slide... i think you got the point

The 4 wheel should lock even to ensure perfect braking.

It would not be hard just to had the vavle on you car(1 inlet/1 outlet) and i dont think that your deserve to maybe have an accident because you missed some brake for saving 50$ or less.

Dont get me wrong here im not pretending to be the smart guy that knows everything , but i ve read a lot on tha subject and thats why i ve come with a proportion vavle.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by always faster
Yep and in case of emergency your car will dive,you will loose steering,the back of the car will slide... i think you got the point

The 4 wheel should lock even to ensure perfect braking.

It would not be hard just to had the vavle on you car(1 inlet/1 outlet) and i dont think that your deserve to maybe have an accident because you missed some brake for saving 50$ or less.

Dont get me wrong here im not pretending to be the smart guy that knows everything , but i ve read a lot on tha subject and thats why i ve come with a proportion vavle.
So are you saying I should have put a proportioning valve on my front brakes? I've never heard of anybody doing that.

You need to do some research. Most of the guys on here put proportioning valves on the back and end up leaving the valve all the way open. While having all the brakes lock at the same time is optimal, it is much more preferable to have the fronts lock slightly earlier than the other way around.

Last edited by 97WS6Pilot; 06-07-2006 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:03 PM

To have optimal braking you want all 4 to lock at the same time.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by smoknta
To have optimal braking you want all 4 to lock at the same time.
I agree as stated in the prior post.

Okay, the only way to get the brakes to lock all at the same time would be to install a proportioning valve on the front brakes (in my case) or get some killer back brakes. With my C5 brakes apparently the fronts lock first in wet conditions. There are so many variables going into which brakes lock first it would be impossible to adjust for all conditions. With the SJM kit the proportioning valve is for the back brakes. I agree it would be optimal to have all brakes lock at the same time but I'm certainly not putting a proportioning valve on the front brakes.

I'm just trying to show people an inexpensive and effective way to delete ABS.

Last edited by 97WS6Pilot; 06-09-2006 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:02 PM

I have never heard of someone having the front brakes lock first. It must be from having better brakes up front than the back.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:05 PM

Very cool. How do you know that the front brakes are locking up first? Isn't the proportioning valve built into the ABS unit, and if so, you've definately changed the proportions of braking now. I would like to do the same thing with my car, but want to make sure it's safe first.

Did you pull your ABS fuse, and if so, do you have a light on your dash all the time now?

Dan
Old 06-10-2006, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by stereomandan
Very cool. How do you know that the front brakes are locking up first? Isn't the proportioning valve built into the ABS unit, and if so, you've definately changed the proportions of braking now. I would like to do the same thing with my car, but want to make sure it's safe first.

Did you pull your ABS fuse, and if so, do you have a light on your dash all the time now?

Dan
I'm not sure if there is a proportioning unit inside the ABS modulator. When I had ABS the fronts would lock first and then the ABS would kick in, pedal would get stiff, and cycle so none of wheels would lock.

I took the car out in the rain to test the new brakes w/o ABS. It was a manageable slide that can easily be corrected by feathering the pedal. The fronts will lock up first. The back brakes will lock up but you have to press pretty hard on the pedal. It stops on a dime with the C5 brakes. I haven't tried it on dry pavement.

When you remove ABS it sets the ABS inop light. I left all the fuses alone and just pulled the bulb out of the instrument cluster. Its a 10 minute job to pull the bulb.

I think I may switch to ceramic pads on my C5 brakes. Right now I have the Z06 pads and they work great but they dust up my Rims bad. If I go ceramic then it may even things up a bit.

I read on here that alot of people leave their proportioning valve wide open. I knew it would be easy to install the proportioning valve later so I decided to test the system without the valve to see if it was necessary. I think it is a cleaner install without the proportioning valve so I'm leaving it off.

Last edited by 97WS6Pilot; 06-10-2006 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:01 PM

Sounds good. You might look into the Hawk HPS pads. They dust, but not like the Z06 pads, which I think are HP+ pads. Plus, they don't have to heat up as much as the HP+ pads to be effective. I have HPS on all four corners with my C5 conversion, and the rears hardly dust, but the fronts show a little more than stock but not terrible, plus they stop like a ****.

Dan
Old 06-11-2006, 03:39 PM
P

I did my !ABS a few years ago, I opted for a Wilwood valve.

P
Old 06-11-2006, 09:25 PM

Even with the proportioning valve all the way open, it still decrease pressure on the rear brakes slightly.

Quick Reply: Pics of my ABS Delete