Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Pics of my rear coil-over project !

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 01:07 AM

Pics of my rear coil-over project !

Well, I finally have some pics of the coil-overs installed. I apoligize for the poor pics, but I had to use my camera phone. Just a re-fresher on the parts. HAL 12 way adjustable coil-over with backing plate welded at the top and HAL 150 lb linear rate springs (rear). I will take some more pics when I finish installing the new exhaust and a few other things...

Enjoy !
Old 11-13-2005, 01:14 AM

Re: Pics of my rear coil-over project !

Damn that car is clean under there.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:07 PM

Thats awesome. Looks nice man.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:26 PM

that looks great. i'm wondering if i should try something like that for my camaro, or just stick with leaf springs
Old 11-15-2005, 02:33 PM

are those just bolted in place of the stock shocks? Also do you have some part numbers? And a picture of the plate on top, I have been wanting to do this just needed more ideas.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:34 AM

Very nice, love the brakes btw....jealous..maybe when I get out of college I will be so fortunate
Old 11-16-2005, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Capt'n Two Rotors
are those just bolted in place of the stock shocks? Also do you have some part numbers? And a picture of the plate on top, I have been wanting to do this just needed more ideas.
Spohn sells a kit and has pictures on their web site. I've got it. Basically just a 1/4" plate up top to reinforce the upper shock mount, with a clevis mount welded to a stud that runs through the stock upper shock mount. The lower shock mount is also a clevis with bolt welded into it to act as a stud that goes through the lower shock mount bolt hole, this is of course just bolted to the shock, allows the shock to pivot backwards and forwards slightly. I'll get you some pictures if your interested.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by 93ZM6Tally
Spohn sells a kit and has pictures on their web site. I've got it. Basically just a 1/4" plate up top to reinforce the upper shock mount, with a clevis mount welded to a stud that runs through the stock upper shock mount. The lower shock mount is also a clevis with bolt welded into it to act as a stud that goes through the lower shock mount bolt hole, this is of course just bolted to the shock, allows the shock to pivot backwards and forwards slightly. I'll get you some pictures if your interested.
Here are some pics:

http://spohn.net/productimages/736_1_big.jpg
http://spohn.net/productimages/736_Install1.jpg
http://spohn.net/productimages/736_Install2.jpg
http://spohn.net/productimages/736_Install3.jpg
Old 11-16-2005, 09:16 PM

Thanks for all the compliments, also thanks guys for the description & pics post

The kit is really easy to install, just need to weld the top plates in a few spots.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:32 AM

Hey thanks alot is yours set for for Drag or road race? Seems that 150 would be a little soft?
Old 11-17-2005, 01:17 AM

I was leaning toward the street/dragstrip setting. I use the 300lb linear rate Hal's up front (Hal 12way) and the 150lb linear in the rears. If I wanted to road race or stiffen up the setup I could easily change out the rears to something stiffer.

Old 11-19-2005, 08:55 AM

I'm going for a drag setup on mine, I've got QA1 R's up front with the 275 and QA1 Rear Coilovers with a 150 spring. I've run into clearance problems with my Spohn drag bar and I'm having to move both shock mounts outboard about 1/2". I'm going to replace the Moser shock mounts with a set of Competition Engineering adjustable mounts this weekend. Should be a pretty flexible setup, I'll be able to adjust both the coilover itself and lower mounting point, that way if I can compensate for changes in spring rate caused by adjusting heighth with just the shock itself.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:45 PM

Sounds pretty cool, do you have some pics of the setup yet ? Where can I find the competition engineering brackets. I would like to look at the item.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:19 PM

No pictures yet because I'm trying to get them welded up this weekend, but mostly likely will have to wait until next week. Competition Engineering brackets are available from Summit, here's the part number CEE-2047, 49 bucks for a pair, includes all the hardware you need.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:27 PM

As promised here are some pictures of my coil over setup. Had a drag bar clearance issue so I cut off the stock shock mounts and used some Competition Engineering brackets. I had to trim the top of these as well because the shock/spring was going to interfere. I also had to put spacers in my LCA's to clear the bottom shock mount bolt.

Quick Reply: Pics of my rear coil-over project !