Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Please Help! LS1 brake upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 03:17 AM

Question Please Help! LS1 brake upgrade question

Hello all. Grab a coke or something because this might be long. Anyway, I, like many of us, bought an LS1 brake kit off of ebay (they were actually from a 2000 Firebird). I also went out and bought Hawk HPS brake pads. The rotors that came with the kit were too thin to be machined, so I bought Brembo stock replacement rotors. I've had this stuff for awhile now, and finally got the ambition to put the stuff on yesterday.....only it's not on yet.....
I only was able to start on the driver's side. Here's my problem. I can't get the caliper housing to bolt onto the caliper bracket like it's supposed to. The top bolt goes on all right, it's the bottom one that I'm having problems with; the caliper housing is about 1/4" too far "outboard" from going on. I made sure that the caliper pistons were totally bottomed out prior to attempting installation, and that the rotor was completely flush with the spindle/hub assembly. I haven't even attempted to start on the passenger side in fear that I'll have the same problem. Please help, I'm at a total loss with this; any assistance would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:17 AM

Re: Please Help! LS1 brake upgrade question

Originally Posted by onebadponcho
Hello all. Grab a coke or something because this might be long. Anyway, I, like many of us, bought an LS1 brake kit off of ebay (they were actually from a 2000 Firebird). I also went out and bought Hawk HPS brake pads. The rotors that came with the kit were too thin to be machined, so I bought Brembo stock replacement rotors. I've had this stuff for awhile now, and finally got the ambition to put the stuff on yesterday.....only it's not on yet.....
I only was able to start on the driver's side. Here's my problem. I can't get the caliper housing to bolt onto the caliper bracket like it's supposed to. The top bolt goes on all right, it's the bottom one that I'm having problems with; the caliper housing is about 1/4" too far "outboard" from going on. I made sure that the caliper pistons were totally bottomed out prior to attempting installation, and that the rotor was completely flush with the spindle/hub assembly. I haven't even attempted to start on the passenger side in fear that I'll have the same problem. Please help, I'm at a total loss with this; any assistance would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
I really don't know what to tell you. I would try rotating the rotor to a different position and then try installing it. Obviously if it slips on then that rotor you bought is trash.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
I really don't know what to tell you. I would try rotating the rotor to a different position and then try installing it. Obviously if it slips on then that rotor you bought is trash.

Yep, tried that and no joy.....would be surprised if the rotor was bad.....would the knuckle being bad cause something like this?....
Old 05-09-2005, 04:46 PM

do lt1 and ls1 cars have the same front spindle and or hub assembly? i would search for pictures of both or call a chevy or pontiac youse and see if they have the same part numbers.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
do lt1 and ls1 cars have the same front spindle and or hub assembly? i would search for pictures of both or call a chevy or pontiac youse and see if they have the same part numbers.

Same hub, different knuckles.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:22 PM

he may need ls1 spindles then, maybe?
Old 05-09-2005, 10:29 PM

Why not try taking the caliper off and seeing if it will slip over the rotor like that. If it does then you must have a bent knuckle.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:24 AM

Well, I ended up putting my stock stuff back on.....back to the drawing board....