Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Polyurethane Bushings or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 09:10 PM

Talking Polyurethane Bushings or not?

I found another bad bushing on a lca in the front of my car. 2 months ago I replaced this same bushing on the opposite side, and had my car aligned and everything. Since I have found another bad bushing I am thinking about getting a complete polyurethane bushing set so I won't have any more problems with those crappy stock rubbers. I know this is supposed to increase my handling and so on, but does it make the ride much rougher? It is important to me to have a good ride because it is a dd. There is one more problem with replacing all of my bushings. Getting all of them pressed in. Is there any way that I can do this myself without paying NAPA $50 per bushing, that's what it cost me last time. I can't afford that. Sorry about the long post I have alot of questions. Thanks alot for any help, Mike
Old 01-19-2005, 10:03 PM

Re: Polyurethane Bushings or not?

you dont have to press poly's in, just a little grease and they slide in, "pressed" in by the center rod piece that the bolt slides into. that's it.

one thing about the poly bushings is that they are just that, plastic. they dont have the bouncy effects of rubber. they will compress over time and will not bounce back like rubber. my sway bar bushings have been on for about 6 months and need replacing. stick with the rubbers, polys may feel better, but rubber is dependable.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:41 AM

I have all poly in my suspension.
I need to add that I have KYB AGX shocks and an Eibach drag launch kit.
Ummm.....stiff is the word I would use to describe the ride.
I also have a 95 V6 bird totally stock and the ride difference between the two is nite and day.
I can feel every little bump in the road with the Z, the firebird glides compared to it.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:33 PM

thanks for the replies. I've never heard of polys wearing out like that, that is useful to know. Thanks guys well I don't think I will get polyurethane bushings, because I don't want to replace them all of the time. I still have the question of how am I supposed to get my rubber bushings in there?