Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

popping, banging need help asap!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 02:37 AM

popping, banging need help asap!

ok well driving with my girl to the beach today, all of a sudden on the freeway (was a little bumpy) we both hear this loud popping noise coming from directly beneath us it seemed. Figured just somethin in the road... kept driving, about 1/2 mile farther we hit a little bump in the freeway, and it pops loud again. Over the next 5 miles, it starts popping everytime we hit any kind of bump in the road. Pull over, exhaust isn't hitting the crossbrace, tq arm bushing looks fine. Limp it back home at 50 mph (20 miles) and park it. When I got home tonight I jacked the car up. Everything looks fine to me, but I took the crossbrace off just in case the exhaust was somehow contacting it. Ok so the dumb noise is still there whenever I hit a bump, clutch out in a rough manner, accelerate any more than normal. Doesn't do it under hard hard braking. Not trans mount, it's a new poly mount!

I'm thinking tq arm bushing is shot, and I just don't know what it should really look like. Or something driveshaft related? Thinking its the driveshaft scares me because I HAVE to drive my car tomorrow to work and back (50 miles) but most of it's just stop and go.

I just did a cam swap, and it surges quite a bit, which I know is probably giving hell to all of my bushings and such. Possibly this has worn something out, and now it let loose?

Its ok to drive this thing right?! thanks for your help.

also, doesn't seem to be speed specific, pretty much does it from 1 mph to 70. also it doesn't get to be a quicker popping as i go faster. and it sounds like something banging against the floorboard or trans tunnel, but I can't feel any vibration, thud, anything, even through the shifter. just loud noise. car doesn't feel like it rides any different either.

Last edited by Wckd94Z; 02-21-2006 at 03:45 AM.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:01 AM

Re: popping, banging need help asap!

Check all your tie-rod ends do I had that problem with my daily driver. That may be it but then again it may not. Just another thing to check Good luck
Old 02-21-2006, 04:28 AM

Re: popping, banging need help asap!

not coming from the front susp though... thanks tho