Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Is It Possible To...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 03:15 PM

Is It Possible To...

Alright well I need to get around installing everything on my sig. Now I only have hand tools, and a drill... I play on buying a compressor, air tools, grinder, etc. later on. So my question is it possible to replace the front shocks, springs, upper and lower ball joints with just hand tools? I know you are suppose to have the brackets for the shocks/springs pressed on and off but of couse I don't have one to do so. So would I be best to have a shop do the front shocks and put on all the new springs?
Old 06-18-2005, 03:29 PM

Re: Is It Possible To...

Originally Posted by 94'_Z28
Alright well I need to get around installing everything on my sig. Now I only have hand tools, and a drill... I play on buying a compressor, air tools, grinder, etc. later on. So my question is it possible to replace the front shocks, springs, upper and lower ball joints with just hand tools? I know you are suppose to have the brackets for the shocks/springs pressed on and off but of couse I don't have one to do so. So would I be best to have a shop do the front shocks and put on all the new springs?
Rear springs / shocks are easy alll you need are hand tools, jack and jack stands.

Front shocks do not require a press for anything. You will need a spring conmpressor. A press might be needed if you change the front control arm bushings. A press will be required for lower ball joints You will need a grinder for the upper ball joint, replacement bolts in.

If you live where they salt the roads. Your upper shock mount and dog bone may be unsalvageable, due to rust. The bottom of the fender may be rusted also.

If you buy upper mounts and new dog bones and you are changing springs. You can save yourself the trouble of removing the old springs since you will have all of the new parts you need. Just pull the old shocks as a unit and leave the stock springs on them. Assemble the new springs and shocks and bolt them on.

Shoebox has a site with a good set of directions.

You may have fun with the front LCA rear bolts.

Z28
Old 06-18-2005, 03:48 PM

Re: Is It Possible To...

Well yes I meant a spring compressor. My thing is the new shocks I got didn't come with the mount to put the shock on. So I would still need to take that part on and compress it on. Unless I bought the new mount and whatever else I needed (which I believe you were saying). What excatly are those parts called? I may be able to run down to GM now, buy the parts and have them install them on the new shocks.