Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Power steering gear box model?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 04:22 PM

Power steering gear box model?

I went to autozone yesterday to check the price of a power steering gear box and there were 2 kinds it could be. One goes with the standard suspension and oen with the enhanced (don't remember exactly what they called it) suspension. Seeing how mine is a '92 RS herritage edition, would this mean I've got the standard? How can I tell by looking at the bear box? One of the bolts looks to be broken from the inside where an easy out or something just won't reach. I will pull it tomorrow to make sure.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:12 PM

Re: Power steering gear box model?

Metaldrgn,

I don't know the answer to your question, but I would also like to know the answer! I was planning on replacing my steering gear box over the weekend and ran into the same questions at Autozone. Basically there's a standard and a sport version. My only guess here is that the sport version has a smaller gear ratio so that it takes less steering wheel turns to turn your car.

What they told me at autozone is that in order to figure out what your car has, you need to decipher your car build codes that are located either in the glove box, under hood, door, trunk or spare tire well.

I have a '91 Z28 and mine is located in the locked trunk compartment on the drivers side. There's about 50 sets of numbers on it! I think if we could find a way to decode this info we should be all set.

Does anyone have a link to this info?
Or is it more generic like... RS = standard, Z28 = sport

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 04-20-2005, 03:09 PM

ok I ended up going to O-relly's and got the only one they had was the one for "soft ride" suspension. It seems to work fine, but I haven't driven the car yet. Steering wheel turns fine and is aligned and everything fits.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:31 AM

Ok,

Here is what I know so far...
If you look at your service code sheet in your Camaro, there should be 3 possible code for suspension. They are:

FE1 = Soft Ride Suspension
FE2 = Touring Ride and Handling
F41 = Special Heavy Duty Front and Rear Suspension

As far as I can tell, these are the only available suspension options. On my '91 Z28 I have the F41 option listed. MetalDrgn, I'm curious what you have listed? I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that the F41 option is the equivalent of "Sport" Suspension.

Does anyone out there have any more details?

If I don't get feedback, I think I'm going to try the sport suspension and cross my fingers and hope for the best.

I'll let you all know if it worked out in the end.

Jeff
Old 04-21-2005, 01:19 PM

if nothing else just make sure you can return it and make sure to get a name. I will get it when I get a chance and post. it's going to be hard because it's under the hatch (center console gone) and I don't have a key to it and no bat, but the switch works so all I ahve to do is hook up some jumper cables and connect 2 wires.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:08 AM

Ok,

Here is some more information that I found if useful to anyone else. The main difference between sport and standard steering is the gear ratio. It breaks down as follows:

Std : 3.5 revolutions at steering wheel max
Sport: 2.5 revolutions at steering wheel max

So, a sport steering means Less steering wheel turns = more tire turns. If you have to do a quick turn you don't have to turn your wheel 3.5 times, just to turn!

I bought the sport gear box last week and will probably try to get it in the car this weekend. However, when looking at it initially it doesn't look like the pitman arm is lining up to where the old one did. I hope I bought the right one!

Jeff
Old 04-29-2005, 03:03 PM

thanks, yea I've got the F41 code. So would the one for the "soft ride suspension" be for the standard? That's the one I got :/. Oh well, that's all the had and it worked. Just bolt it onto the frame and attach the steering shaft onto the box. Turn it to align it with the pitman arm. As you can see, there are 4 teeth gone all at 90 degrees from each other so it can go on 4 ways (they are all 90 degrees right? I lined mine up this way and it worked and the steering is centered). I think the box comes aligned to the center so hopefully your tires are straight or close to it and you can just turn it a small amount to match it.

BTW, mine came with a lifetime warrentee, BUT it says you are supposed to have some filter for it and it voids the warrentee if that filter isn't installed so check out your paperwork and see if it says anything about that and maybe buy one and hook it up.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:32 PM

Anyone know where I can get an F-41 Gear box? is it something an auto parts store has, or will i have to hunt it down. Im looking for one to put on my 69 camaro...
Old 05-01-2005, 11:12 PM

yea you can get it at your local parts store. You will probably need to order it from the store which doesn't cost any more, but takes a few days to get to the store and you just go back and pick it up. It's the one that costs more (at least at autozone and advanced auto, O'rellys said they were the same price, but only had the "soft ride" suspension type in stock). Just tell them you have the heavy duty suspension.

Last edited by Metaldrgn; 05-01-2005 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:10 AM

You happen to know what they want for them at an autoparts store?
Old 05-02-2005, 02:00 PM

autozone was 139 for the "soft ride" one and 199 for the heavy duty. call around and find out some prices.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:03 PM

True, I stopped at Advance Auto today, and they were the same price..200 for the F41 suspension package. I found one at a junkyard for 100, but i havent decided if I should spend that much on a used one.