Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Power steering question. Steering Wheel doesn't come back affer turn

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 11:40 AM

Power steering question. Steering Wheel doesn't come back affer turn

i have a strange issue with my power steering. I guess it's nothing that i can't live with but it's wierd.
first let me say:
the pump doesn't squeel
there are no leaks
the fluid isn't low
the steering wheel is easy to turn
the steering doesn't cut out

none of the usual problems that people complain about.

MY issue is that when you turn the wheel to make a sharp turn, say from a stop sign or something, you actually have to physically turn the wheel back after the turn. Whereas MOST every other vehicle i've had you just gently let the wheel slide through you fingers and the car straightens itself after the turn. So lets say you were in a parking lot and turned the wheel to one side, probably like at least a full turn, then just took your hand off the wheel... the car would just keep doing circles until you straightened it back out.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? I built the whole car myself and nothing seemed out of the ordinary when i put it together.
I'd say the only thing that might pertain to this mystery is that there is probably 150k on the rack and pinion and pump.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:37 PM

I think it's got to be a problem with the rack. That is if there is no problems with the power assist when turning the steering wheel.

Haynes says this....

Steering wheel fails to return to straight-ahead position:
  • Incorrect front end alignment.
  • Tire pressures low.
  • Steering gears improperly engaged.
  • Steering column out of alignment.
  • Worn or damaged balljoint.
  • Worn or damaged steering linkage.
  • Insufficient oil in steering gear.
  • Lack of fluid in power steering pump.

My factory F-body manual lists all the above and added these two to the list....
  • Worn wheel bearing.
  • Sticky or plugged steering gear valve spool.

However, with 150K on the rack....I'd say just go ahead and replace it first.

Last edited by ACE1252; 05-24-2007 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:03 PM

There is a bearing preload adjustment for the steering rack; Shoebox has the adjust described here: http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#rack_preload

Not sure if this was touched during your build of the car. Reducing the preload will allow the steering wheel to come back to center, assuming something else isn't wrong.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:33 PM

I'd check alignment. Caster is what helps with the wheels turning back to center.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:49 PM

the car is out of alignment i know that for sure. Right after i finished it last spring, i had an alignment done, but shortly after that, i was doing some significant cornering once and i noticed a slight pop from up front and ever since the car has been pulling to the right quite bad. I just pulled it out of storage about 4 weeks ago, so i'll probably just have an alignment done. the thing is though.... i can't remember if it did that before, right after the alignment i cant' remember if it acted normal or not. it's not one of those highly noticed things like... 'oh, i have an SES light on'... my issue was just one of those little annoyances that start to get to you after a while.

I never would have guessed that alignment would cause the power steering to act funny.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:42 PM

Incorrect caster or significant cross caster would cause a pull too.