Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Question on 1LE Swaybar Performance after install

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 09:51 PM

Question Question on 1LE Swaybar Performance after install

OK, the bar is in along with my 275/40's. It's nice and tight feeling although a bit rougher ride.

One issue...the car really seems to want to dive into the LH turns at higher speed, so much so that it kinda surprised me a bit and I ended up doing some correcting which wasn't much fun. Got it floating a bit up n down with the multiple inputs...seems more sentitive to steering input to the left than to the right.

Am I imagining things, or is it just going to be MUCH more responsive to steering input with this setup? It seems a bit less stable (or is it just me that's unstable )

I'm hoping one of you suspension experts will chime in and tell me to just learn how to drive the new setup more smooth...otherwise, if there's an issue that I need to address let me know that too. Could I have tightened an end link too much??? Does this have any effect???

The install is nice and straight and tight and I used hi quality bushings and endlinks. Thanks anyone for your help!
http://www.z28.com/gallery/data/505/...C00976-med.JPG
mudkat

Last edited by heliskiier1; 05-01-2005 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:43 PM

Re: Question on 1LE Swaybar Performance after install

The bar will make the car more responsive in turns, that is why you installed it right?

Torque wrench on endlinks?

Have you compared the length of the exposed threads on the endlinks? Endlinks act like stiff springs, preload does have an effect, but I don't know how much. I used OEM 17 ft/lbs

Sway bar mounts have been known to break.

Have you had the alignment checked?

Check your tire pressure?

Some wheels do not pilot properly over the hubs on the front and rear axles and have to be ground out.

Left or right should be the same, you have some sort of problem.

My guess is the new wheels have changed the alignment, possible toe out condition.

Z28
Old 05-02-2005, 07:20 AM

Re: Question on 1LE Swaybar Performance after install

Originally Posted by Z28barnett
The bar will make the car more responsive in turns, that is why you installed it right?

Torque wrench on endlinks?

Have you compared the length of the exposed threads on the endlinks? Endlinks act like stiff springs, preload does have an effect, but I don't know how much. I used OEM 17 ft/lbs

Sway bar mounts have been known to break.

Have you had the alignment checked?

Check your tire pressure?

Some wheels do not pilot properly over the hubs on the front and rear axles and have to be ground out.

Left or right should be the same, you have some sort of problem.

My guess is the new wheels have changed the alignment, possible toe out condition.

Z28

Thanks for the suggestions!

Alignment checked...no. Could one side be more toed than the other. Seems like the car dives into left's a lot harder and not nearly as smooth as going into rights. My best description would be "Touchy"

BTW, the car didn't dive in nearly as hard with just the wheels and the OEM swaybar, but it was more responsive.

I like the reasponse a lot on the RH turns, it's just the LH that's a bit unnerving.

Thanks again!!!!

mudkat

Wheels on hubs proper...yes I machined the back ones to get em on, so they're OK.

Tire pressure fine.

End links...no torque wrench handy, and one could be a turn tighter than the other possibly, but would it make such a difference?

Sway bar mounts are new and solid.