Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Question about front strut assembly

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 11:28 PM

Question about front strut assembly

When replacing the complete assembly, am I forgetting anything?

-Strut(with nut and washer)
-Spring
-upper strut mount
-Strut rod dust cover
-lower spring mount

thanks
Old 06-23-2005, 11:31 PM

Re: Question about front strut assembly

There is an insulator (triagular looking piece in lower middle of Injueer's pic) that goes under the top nut and washer but on top of the upper shock mount. Yes, 4th gens have front shocks, not struts.

Oh, there is a lower mount insulator as well.

Last edited by shoebox; 06-23-2005 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:06 AM

Yes, I realize its a short arm long arm(SALA) design using a coil over shock setup. If you want to get technical though they're not "shock absorbers", as they dont absorb road shock, just control the coil springs oscillations. But for simplicity's sake I used what most people call them by. I've never taken a 4th gens front suspension apart though, and cant find a decent schematic so I thought I would ask to get an idea.

Thanks for the help It was just what I needed.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by meengreen 94z
Yes, I realize its a short arm long arm(SALA) design using a coil over shock setup. If you want to get technical though they're not "shock absorbers", as they dont absorb road shock, just control the coil springs oscillations. But for simplicity's sake I used what most people call them by. I've never taken a 4th gens front suspension apart though, and cant find a decent schematic so I thought I would ask to get an idea.

Thanks for the help It was just what I needed.
Put down the person that helps you, then thank him????

PS: To get technical, questions about "suspension" belong on the correct forum... not here on "LT1 Engine Tech". Moving to "Suspension......."
Old 06-24-2005, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
You are right, that was a very left handed reply that the guy made. I don't know why they do it.

My guess is after they see the answer they realize how ignorant they are and get embarrased and have to pop off wise.

Gets kinda hard to take, when you are trying to help the ungrateful so and so.

You provide alot of good info, and myself and others thank you for it.

Z28
Old 06-25-2005, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Z28barnett
You are right, that was a very left handed reply that the guy made. I don't know why they do it.

My guess is after they see the answer they realize how ignorant they are and get embarrased and have to pop off wise.

Gets kinda hard to take, when you are trying to help the ungrateful so and so.

You provide alot of good info, and myself and others thank you for it.

Z28
i think everyone likes to think of themselves as all knowing and wise, and so we have to one up each other by displaying our knowledge while getting answers to the questions we dont want to ask for fear of looking inadequate

everyone should know a shock absorber doesnt absorb shock but not everyone knows the technical differance between a strut and a shock
and everyone should know to post suspension questions in the suspension forum instead of having injuneer move them over from lt1 engine tech, this may be the gazillionth time i've seen him mention this, of course i am guilty of asking suspension questions in 3rd gen engine tech only because i usually get ignored by 4th gens (its ok guys i'm not upset)
Old 06-26-2005, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Thanks for noticing..... I used to spend most of my time helping people with Tech questions. Seems like lately almost all the time I spend on these boards is spent moving posts that don't belong.... just moved a question about buying a V6 off the "LT1 Engine Tech" forum. Earlier it was a guy posting on LT1 Engine Tech, with a question as to how to get the rack & pinion off his 01 Z28 LT1.... yup, that's what he said.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer

PS: To get technical, questions about "suspension" belong on the correct forum... not here on "LT1 Engine Tech". Moving to "Suspension......."
I think you took my response in the wrong way(I guess I should have written it a little differently). I didnt mean to sound like a jerk.I did appreciate the help.