Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Rag Joint Elminator

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 02:59 PM

Rag Joint Elminator

With u guys who have them, are they worth it? Are they hard to install...about how long? an hour?

after installed does the car need an alignment? .. or is like a "plug and play" piece

just a few questions cause i am considering this piece.

i've read about some safty issues on the boards here and they really dont concern me right now.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:00 PM

Re: Rag Joint Elminator

If you don't have a problem with your steering then don't worry about it. If you want another rag joint, I've seen them a at NAPA for like $10. They don't take too long to install, an hour or 2 sounds right. You have to grind off the massive rivits that hold it on and replace with graded fastners. Unbalanced engineering has them for about $20 or so.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:29 PM

Headers can "fry" the stock rag joint; the rag joint eliminator (alunimum disk) eliminates the problem. Easy to install and no need to get a new alignment.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:35 PM

I've done it. Noticed no difference. 130K on the old joint and Jet-Hot LTs.
The install wasn't too bad. I didn't have time to drill out the rivets so I had a local shop do it ($10) Mine seemed to be OK without any adjustments, but I ground down the two longer bolts some just in case.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:36 PM

Have a link to their site?
Old 03-22-2005, 10:42 PM

http://www.unbalancedengineering.com/Camaro/
Old 03-22-2005, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by madwolf
I've done it. Noticed no difference. 130K on the old joint and Jet-Hot LTs.
The install wasn't too bad. I didn't have time to drill out the rivets so I had a local shop do it ($10) Mine seemed to be OK without any adjustments, but I ground down the two longer bolts some just in case.
yea i got 130K also, but you didnt notice the steering to be less slopy?
Old 03-22-2005, 11:07 PM

Well most of my front suspension is new (less the inner tie rods and steering rack) so that might have something to do with it, but to answer your question, no, I did not notice a difference.

You can turn the steering wheel on mine very easily so I was hoping to firm it up some, but the eliminator didn't help. (obviously, it's meant to get rid of sloppyness, but I didn't have that to begin with)
Old 03-22-2005, 11:07 PM

Thanks man......
Old 03-22-2005, 11:15 PM

Well most of my front suspension is new (less the inner tie rods and steering rack) so that might have something to do with it, but to answer your question, no, I did not notice a difference.

You can turn the steering wheel on mine very easily so I was hoping to firm it up some, but the eliminator didn't help. (obviously, it's meant to get rid of sloppyness, but I didn't have that to begin with)
ION, it appears our front ends r exactly the same i just got done replacing everything up front the for the most part except inner tie rods, and steering rack.

as of tonite i just got done upper/lower ball joints (moog), Prothane Poly bushings, and autozone outer tie rod ends.and just added the LS1 brakes getting the car aligned at work tommrow at work, hopefully things work out well for me AFTER ALL THE TIME AND HARD WORK i just put into it...
Old 03-22-2005, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by bow94z
ION, it appears our front ends r exactly the same i just got done replacing everything up front the for the most part except inner tie rods, and steering rack.

as of tonite i just got done upper/lower ball joints (moog), Prothane Poly bushings, and autozone outer tie rod ends.and just added the LS1 brakes getting the car aligned at work tommrow at work, hopefully things work out well for me AFTER ALL THE TIME AND HARD WORK i just put into it...
Yep, new ball joints and moog tie rods here too. LS1 brakes, shocks, springs, sway bar, etc. I can never leave that car alone even if I hardly drive it.
I'm sure you'll enjoy the results of all that hard work. I know I do.