Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Rear brake noise will not go away!!! Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 10:22 PM

Rear brake noise will not go away!!! Please help!

Hey guys, I have a problem that’s been driving me nuts ever since I got my car last year. The rear brakes are squeaky as hell. My first attempt to fix it was to take everything apart, clean it all up and put brake quiet on the back of the pads. It worked for about two tanks of gas then it was loud again. Then I bought new calipers because the parking brake on the old ones didn’t work and the caliper pins were a little corroded. I put it back together with the brake quiet and again it was good for about two tanks of gas then the noise came back again. Last week I bought new ceramic pads and new rotors from autozone. I took everything apart, cleaned the caliper with brake parts cleaner, and cleaned the new rotors off. I noticed there was corrosion on the caliper pins again so I cleaned those up with some 200 grit sandpaper and I put a flap role down the hole of the abundment bracket to clean the rust out of there. I used the high temp brake grease for the pins and put it all back together with the brake quiet on the back of the pads. I also have the little metal shims that sit in the recession of the caliper and I think are there to keep the pads from tipping or moving around to much. I got everything together then took the car for a drive around two country blocks and broke the pads in. Now tonight the noise is almost worse than ever. This is driving me nuts. Does anybody have any suggestions? This is on a 94 Trans Am. One thing I noticed was that when I pulled on the hubs they had some play in them; I would say about 1/8”. They would make a nice clunking sound too.

I wonder if the abundment brackets are to worn and need to be replaced with new ones. I don’t thing the calipers slide as freely as they should. Does anybody know the gm part numbers for these along with the pins and rubber boots?

Thanks
Old 05-29-2005, 10:46 PM

Re: Rear brake noise will not go away!!! Please help!

If you have excess slack in the axles, that might be your problem. The c-clips might be worn, allowing the axle to move in/out more than it is supposed to.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:32 AM

Re: Rear brake noise will not go away!!! Please help!

Thanks Shoebox, I think i'm going to order some new abundment brackets, pins, and some new c-clips. I'll put the new c-clips in when I put some 3.73 gears in hopefully in the next month. Is it a save bet that new c-clips will fix the movement? I mean are the axles made of harder material that they wouldn't have worn enough to be causing the problem.