Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Rear Brake rebuild question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 12:27 PM

Rear Brake rebuild question

I am rebuilding my rear right brake caliper, i got all of it cleaned up and ready to put back together, i have the new seal in the cylinder and all ready for the piston/assembly. But in my hanyes book it said to square it up and push the assebly into the caliper housing with your thumbs. I did this but i got it in about 3/4 of the way and it got pretty hard, so i tried to blow it back out with air pressure because i thought the seal rolled over on itself but i cant get the darn thing back out now, what can i do to get that out? i want to know what is causing this because the rebuild went flawless up untill this point. and help would be appreciated.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:01 AM

Re: Rear Brake rebuild question

well, wiggle and pull out at the same time. however, the seal is probably not rolled over, as it sits pretty tight in the cylinder. as long as the cylinder was not rough or did not need honing, you should be fine to go ahead and push it all the way in. its a really tight fit on rear lt1 calipers, as it is with the fronts as well. I've never once been able to push a piston all the way in with my fingers. you are going to need a seal driver to set the seal once the piston is all the way in. it is best to use the seal driver to knock the piston all the way in as well. just place it over top of it and use a dead blow hammer or ball pene to tap it in. I've always used this method and it has never failed me. btw, if you can't blow the piston back out, it probably is a bit crooked but try tapping it all the way in first. if it still gives you a hard time, you will probably have to stick something through the hole where you blow the air into, and use a bench vice or press to push it back out. it will ruin the inner seal more than likely, but if it's stuck, it's probably already ruined. give my first advice a try and see what happens.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:51 AM

Re: Rear Brake rebuild question

cool thanks for the help.