Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

rear brakes upgrade...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 03:13 PM

Wink rear brakes upgrade...

so far as i stand i have rear drums. i have been looking around at scrap yards and the best price i can get on a rear end with disc's is 400 canadian. however, i got for free a set of the stock disc brakes with the mounting bracket and all the parts but i remember someone telling me i cant just swap them over on my car?

im just now wondering why it is that i cant just change them to disc? i know the metering valve needs to be replaced but im not so sure about the master cylinder?

Also i recently did a motor swap and i crushed my brake line to the rear end. i am going to replace asap but just wondering about the rear disc swap? is it the exact same size steel tube or is it infact a different size?

so recap..

1) will the disc setup fit on my rear drum setup as it stands or do u need to do modifications to make it work?( i do already have the backing plate that comes stock with the car. from the scrap camaro )
2) what else needs to be changed out for the disc brakes to work?
3) is it the same size steel brake line that goes to the rear end?

thanks alot for your time..

Douglas

P.s ive read and heard alot that the PBR setup is much better however with what i have now i would like to make do? im in school so im trying not to spend to much to get my camaro going for this summer.
thx

Last edited by Camaro_Boy; 01-15-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:20 PM

I did this conversion on my 96 and all I had was discs, calipers, e-brake lines, and mounting brackets/plates. It works fine and I didn't change anything else.