Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

rear bump stops....please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 07:30 PM

rear bump stops....please help

i am looking for poly rear bump stops that will fit in place of the factory ones. the factory rubber ones on the car are falling apart. any information will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:28 AM

Re: rear bump stops....please help

Poly bumpstops are too hard and tend to upset the chassis on hard bumps. The stock stop is designed to act as a spring and "add spring rate" at the end of the suspension travel to keep the suspension from "slamming" into something hard. The problem is, Poly bump stops are "something hard" and the suspension will crash into them violently. This can upset the cars handling, possibly causing an accident if it happens in the wrong corner. Also, it will cause the car to ride very poorly over big bumps where you will feel lots of banging (for lack of a better term) when you hit what are basically solid bump stops. I'd replace them with another set of factory stops. If you really want to get away from the foam style (the foam style are good because they are non-rebounding, or don't bounce, and they absorb the suspension travel without bouncing off of the stops), you could look at stops from a 3rd gen F-body. They are rubber, but still much softer than poly. I'd use foam first, rubber second and "anything but poly" third, poly would not even be 4th on my list, I'd just not bother at that point.

Good luck!

My thoughts.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:19 PM

thanks for the information. i will surely stick with the foam ones then. do you know of a site that sells them?
Old 11-26-2004, 07:37 PM

If you can't dig up a set on Ebay, I'd try gmpartsdirect.com and see what you can find there. That's my best guess (or try your local dealer).

Good luck!
Old 11-26-2004, 08:52 PM

ok. i found em on gmpartsdirect.com.........ordered 2 of them so they should be on their way. thanks alot for the help...
Old 11-28-2004, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by project z29
ok. i found em on gmpartsdirect.com.........ordered 2 of them so they should be on their way. thanks alot for the help...

No problem at all.