Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Rear End CLUNK.... Could it be LCA's ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 06:16 AM

Question Rear End CLUNK.... Could it be LCA's ???

Just installed a 24mm rear sway bar a couple weeks ago with poly endlinks and bushings... Also a few weeks ago I did P/A Racing or PROFORM LCA's, Now when I make a left turn from taking off or rather ANYTHING left when letting out the clutch or turning slow (under 10mph) I get a metal to metal clank or clunk, I dont feel this in the clutch/gas pedal or anything like that, doesnt feel like it is my drivetrain, I'm thinking bad shocks (91,000) or the new endlinks are not tight enough? (what specs should they be) or the LCA's bushings...

How can I confirm which it is and not my rear end??

Also those of you running LCA relocation brackets... Did you use washers for spacers inside the bracket ? It seems a lil wider then what it was stock.. I think they may be binding up or something...

I've also replaced a c-clip on the drivers side not to long ago..

Just trying to rule stuff out..

3.73 rear end all stock cept gears and t/a girldle... PA LCAs... 24MM rear sway...

PLEASE HELP !!!

Thanks,
Keith
Old 04-17-2004, 02:11 PM

I wish i could help you out but i have a similar problem too. when the car is in reverse ( A4 ) and when i give it some gas ( like parking ) i hear and fell a clunk towards the rear of the car. i have had a tech look at it here at work but nothing. performed a diff service and everything looks good. i have also chaned the yoke, and ujoint, trans mount and torque arm bushing with energy suspension products. it is still there. i am ready to pull my hair out. it has not gotten worse, and has been happening since i bought it used about 1 1/2 years ago
Old 04-17-2004, 05:18 PM

Trans-mount if you've never replaced it
Old 04-17-2004, 07:28 PM

I've got a poly trans mount. I dont know why it will only do it making a LEFT turn, I can feel the whole rear kinda move...

HELP !

please
Old 04-18-2004, 09:59 AM

anyone please ????

I'm gonna have to post this in LT1 tech I think... No responses here... I need Rob or Fred in here....
Old 04-18-2004, 10:53 AM

Judgine from what you've posted, if you changed your rear sway bar, hear a clunk, and the front end wants to move, it's very possible it's your swaybar/end links. I'm not sure what the specs are supposed to be, but get underneath and start shaking things. Then get on top and bounce the car. You should be able to re-create the noise and figure out where it's coming from.
Old 04-18-2004, 04:49 PM

I think its the rear end now.. The abs inop light is also on...

How much does a rebuild usually run? I have 3.73's
Old 04-19-2004, 05:08 AM

would my rear bind and clunk due to mobil 1 fluid and gm additive?

If I replace it with normal fluid not mobil 1 and the additive. you think it'll be better ????

TTT
Old 04-19-2004, 12:29 PM

i do not think that a difference in fluid would cause your problem. as long as you used the correct weight and the posi additive, you should be ok
Old 04-19-2004, 12:56 PM

Just an idea- I had the same problem, clunk out of the rear esp on left turns. Turns out it I split the cheap bushing in the stock LCA. This is a REAL common prob in these cars. Replaced it with BMR but then developed the same problem, but it was just that I hadnt tightend it down enough. I wound up having to go back several times to retighten them (tighten them, clunk goes away for 1-2 weeks, then comes back, retighten, etc). I dont know how tight I eventually had to get those suckers before they stopped clunking, I didnt have a torque wrench back then, but they were pretty darn tight, no clunk out of them now for 3-4 years. Give those bolts another turn and see if that doesnt solve it. I think it will.
Pat
Old 04-19-2004, 12:59 PM

Just reading your post again, I thought you just did your sway bar, but now noticing you replaced your LCA also I'm pretty sure a loose LCA is the problem. Sounds EXACTLY like what mine was doing. I would accelerate hard forward and reverse, braking hard in between to test if the LCA was loose, if clunking I would give another turn of the bolt, repeat until clunk free, or declunked if you will... good luck. You just replaced these parts, it has to be them, I wouldnt worry about your rear end, that tends to make a different noise

Last edited by SSTAT; 04-19-2004 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:30 PM

drained the fluid today... Got a few tiny pieces of metal that fell out with the oil, smelt like *** too.. Do you still think its my lca's or is it ok to have a little metal come out. Car still drives fine, just the binding/clunks in turns..
Old 04-19-2004, 10:54 PM

Uh Oh, define "tiny"-
Old 04-20-2004, 05:11 AM

TINY TINY pieces, about 4-5 of them, Really small, I'd say specs of metal, when I say small, I mean about the size of the teeth on a zipper with one piece being a lil bigger then that but still being small... I drained all the fluid last night but it got dark so I couldnt refill it yet, Gonna do it this evening after work... Hopefully it'll just run smoother and still work for a lil bit. enough to where I can get another 10 bolt lined up....
Old 04-20-2004, 09:32 AM

Sounds like normal wear.

If the LCA's are nice an tight, I'd wager the clunks are from the tranny. After a fair bit of milage the T56 has a tendancy to loosen up a bit. On clutch engaugement you'd get a slight "kick" as the slack is taken up. Same thing applies to getting on the gas and back to idle... a poly mount will make this more pronounced (it did in mine at least).

How loud is the clunk? Does it corolate EXACTLY with clutch engaugment or acceleration from idle/cruise?

Quick Reply: Rear End CLUNK.... Could it be LCA's ???