Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

rear end gets happy on hard shifts

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 08:51 AM

rear end gets happy on hard shifts

My car has a tendencey to kick out the rear end on hard shifts and it is pretty bad. Car is a 95 Z28, just a basic bolt on LT1 and it has a shift kit in the freshly built auto. The car shifts so hard on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts when you are on it , anything more than half throttle and it kicks out hard, spins the tires and i need to get off it. At wot its almost scary how hard it shifts and the car gets super swirly and i just cant stay in it cause i feel im gonna lose it.

Im wondering what kind of rear suspension mods i can do to keep the car going in a straight line when it shifts? I know its not my tires, got brand new Goodyear GS-C run flats on it. Yeah, its fun kickin the *** out all the time but it dont let me stay in it and have a nice pull, instead always letting my foot up after it shifts. Any suggestions?
Old 07-17-2011, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Re: rear end gets happy on hard shifts

Best mod to stabilize the rear suspension would be upgraded lower control arms and LCA relocation brackets. A beefed up panhard bar would also stabilize side-to side motion.

I'm surprised they still make the GS-C's. I thought they discontinued the conventional version years ago. And "run flats" are generally not as good on traction and handling as a conventional tire. The run flat was a compromise to allow the Corvette to delete the spare tire. My 94 left the factory with conventional GS-C's and the 20 year old technology has been far surpassed over the intervening period. It would be interesting to see how the GS-C EMT compares to something like the GS-D3.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Best mod to stabilize the rear suspension would be upgraded lower control arms and LCA relocation brackets. A beefed up panhard bar would also stabilize side-to side motion.

I'm surprised they still make the GS-C's. I thought they discontinued the conventional version years ago. And "run flats" are generally not as good on traction and handling as a conventional tire. The run flat was a compromise to allow the Corvette to delete the spare tire. My 94 left the factory with conventional GS-C's and the 20 year old technology has been far surpassed over the intervening period. It would be interesting to see how the GS-C EMT compares to something like the GS-D3.
They are the GS-C EMT's, I got them at a local performance shop. The owner said that a guy came in with his vette(didnt get the year) and purchased a rim and tire package. He took the factory rims but left the tires there. The tires look brand new, still had **** on them and still have the red and blue stripes in between the treads. They are 285/40/17 in the rear, they hook better than the falkens that were on the car when I got it. Anyway I got the complete set mounted and balance for $250 out the door, so I got a good deal considering im seeing the tires for $323/each brand new.

These are the tires I have.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+EMT&code=yes&
Old 07-27-2011, 11:59 PM

Just my opinion, and its not worth much. But on my car I had the same problem, sub frame connectors, lca's, relocation brackets, the only reason I say sfc's is because the car like mine is a t-top, the lt1 is a torque monster. The chassis is twisting and loading, then the energy is released when the rearend kicks out. Sort of like any piece of structural steel twisting do to settling of the structure, its going to release that energy somewhere. Also a stiffer car, while not as cushy to ride in..... it makes your cars suspension work better, and if you do any major power mods you wont have a pretzel on you hands. Just sayin, and of course this is all imho.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

I would not assume that the GS-C's aren't the problem. That tire was original equipment on the C4 Corvette (and early C5s), and there are many newer, better tires available.