Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Rear lower shock mounting bolts

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 06:28 PM

Rear lower shock mounting bolts

I plan on changing my rear shocks this weekened, I got to looking at the lower shock mounts and looks like the bolt is either pressed in or non-removable? If I need new ones what size do I need. Also What size wrench do I need to remove the lower nuts? Thanks.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Re: Rear lower shock mounting bolts

I would think the bolts might vary with the specific replacement shocks. For my QA1/HAL's, I have the following info in my online spring/shock replacement guide. Your needs might vary, but this might get you inthe right ballpark:
Make sure you have lower mounting bolts. (HAL specific, but for any shocks, make sure you have a lower mounting bolt).

First I asked HAL what bolts to get. They replied "Try this, Dorman PN 661-001 Universal Shock mount Bolt".

Well, after about half a dozen auto parts stores (Pep Boys, Kar Parts, Thul’s), and no Dorman’s of that description, I bought the following:

**Two 2-1/2" long by ½" diameter x 13tpi (coarse) Grade 8 bolts. The "fine" threads might be a better choice, but they were not available in -1/2" lengths where I bought them.

**Two matching ½" coarse Grade 8 nuts.

**Two "lesser" ½" nuts, these were thinner than the Grade 8, to be used mainly as spacers.

**Four matching ½" flat washers

**Two ½" lock washers.

While the shocks are still off the car, install the lower bolts in the HAL’s. You need to install the bolts so that when the bolt goes into the bolthole in the axle bracket, the adjuster **** will be facing the inside of the car. Put a flat washer on the bolt. Insert the bolt through the eye of the shock. Put another flat washer on the bolt, and the thinner "lock-nut". Tighten the nut against the lower shock bushing/sleeve. The metal sleeve in the bushings allows the nut to be tightened against the sleeve, without affecting the bushings. Just do not over-tighten and crush the sleeve. Now you are ready to install the shocks.

Put the lower shock bolt through the hole in the axle bracket, no washer on the shock side, but add a lock washer on the nut side. Add a nut and tighten to 66 ft-lb. On mine, the bolt was still about 1/8" inside the nut, but this is a wide, strong nut, and should not be a problem. Going to a 3" bolt is no good, because the shoulder is too long to allow you to tighten the inner nut against the sleeve. You might also consider not using the inner nut, but it seemed to me that the arrangement I described above put the shock in the proper position, similar to the factory unit, clear of the axle mounting bracket, and totally vertical.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:14 AM

I went to Autozone and bought shock mounting bolts for my QA1s.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:34 PM

Well I got the bilsteins and looks like the bolts are already fitted in there, I didnt think they would so I asked to be preparied. Thanks guys.