Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

rear ride height increased ... ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 06:01 AM

rear ride height increased ... ???

I recently removed my 10-bolt ('94 Formula) to replace it with a Moser 12-bolt. I took all the other suspension components out to be cleaned and painted and then put them all back in. After I replaced the differential, as well as the OEM 16" wheels with 28" Hoosier drag radials on 15" Weld wheels, I noticed something odd. The car is sitting on jackstands on the axle tubes (which would have the weight of the body on the suspension) but there has to be at least 4" of space between the top of the tire and the fender. I haven't put it on the ground yet as I need to install my headers but why would the fender gap be so large when I put a bigger tire in? Can't figure this one out ...
Old 01-09-2007, 11:37 AM

Something's gotta be holding it up?! Did you get the springs up into their perches properly up top? (nothing in the way?) Are the shocks extended fully and holding the back end up? (can you push down on the back of the car and make it squat?) Something doesn't sound right, that's for sure!!
Old 01-09-2007, 12:26 PM

I'm sure the springs are up in their perches and seated properly. Could be the shocks; good point on that. I called Moser today and they said installing a 12-bolt will add about an inch on ride height since the 12-bolt is physically larger than a 10-bolt. However, going from 26" (IIRC) to 28" tires an inch wouldn't make much different. I suppose I need to drop the car and push down on the suspension to see if it settles. Puzzling though ...
Old 01-09-2007, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by skaufman
I called Moser today and they said installing a 12-bolt will add about an inch on ride height since the 12-bolt is physically larger than a 10-bolt. However, going from 26" (IIRC) to 28" tires an inch wouldn't make much different.
It's one thing if the car sits a little higher ... that I understand (combination of the larger diff and taller tires). But you said the space between the top of the tires and the fender, right?? (and I'm "assuming" you're talking about the outer fender lip? )
Old 01-09-2007, 01:11 PM

Yeah, I'm talking about the space between the top of the tire and the bottom of the opening on the fender. I can literally put my fist in and set it on top of the rear tire now.