Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Rear shock install problem--95 Vert

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 10:47 AM

Rear shock install problem--95 Vert

Ok, figured I would start with the rear to get my confidence up before starting the front (installing Bilsteins HD and BMR swaybars). Everythings going good until I try to find the upper bolt on the shocks. I have a Vert and have read that there is an ACCESS PANEL somewhere--I just can't find it . To top that off, I'm having a tough time getting the rear quarter panel trim peace off--I think I need a torx bit to get the plastic fastener that the seat clicks onto off . Any help would be appreciated--really don't want to tear the interior apart more than I have to.....
Old 02-06-2005, 11:30 AM

Re: Rear shock install problem--95 Vert

I have a 95 Z28 hardtop.

The upper shock nut should be in the same place, roughly since they are the same frame.

Fold down the back seat. Looking toward the rear you will see a flat shelf.

The front edge of that shelf on the far left and far right under the carpet is where the shock nuts are located.

If you feel along the front edge in the center it is steel, but at the left and right sides you should find a soft spot, this is the pocket for the upper shock mount and it is covered with a foam plug.

On my camaro they have a pre-punched flap in the carpet. You have to do a little careful cutting to release the inner and bottom edges and it folds up.

There is a foam rubber cover over the shaft and nut. Pull this out and you will see the shock nut.

I think the cover they are talking about is the carpet cut out, no interior needs to be removed.

Z28
Old 02-06-2005, 11:49 AM

Z28barnett--Thanks alot, finally found it after reading your post. After really looking over my carpet a saw a couple slits on the front of the "shelf" you referred to. Just had to expand the slits a little and there was the foam / nut. Thanks again--guess this won't be a wasted day after all.....
Old 02-06-2005, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by 95RagtopTA
Z28barnett--Thanks alot, finally found it after reading your post. After really looking over my carpet a saw a couple slits on the front of the "shelf" you referred to. Just had to expand the slits a little and there was the foam / nut. Thanks again--guess this won't be a wasted day after all.....
Good luck, really not a bad job in the back, the front, alot more difficult but easy to find.

z28