Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Rear Spring Shifting Position?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 07:47 AM

Rear Spring Shifting Position?

I have had a mild bump transmitted through the body going over speed bumps for a while - lately it has started when I go from speed and then brake.

I checked this weekend and by jouncing the rear and placing my hand on the rear spring - I can feel the spring vibrate (like its struck with a hammer) - almost like its not seated properly and it is shifting everytime the rear moves. It seems like it is coming from the bottom - but I can't tell for sure.

I think there is a rubber isolator on the top - it appears OK. So I guess my question is how does the spring stay in position at the bottom - and what could be shifting?
Old 09-27-2007, 08:33 AM

Nobody who has replaced springs has any thoughts?
Old 10-01-2007, 08:58 AM

Well, I'll try this one more time. I checked again and it appears that the driver side spring is shifting just a tad on the lower perch when the rear is bounced (I can feel it if I place my finger there). If I squeeze the spring and hold it on the perch - then bounce the rear - it will not move. When it slips it causes a resonance in the spring that you hear in the car (and out).

I'm really the only one, nobody has experienced this?
Old 10-01-2007, 12:30 PM

The weight of the car holds the spring in place. I have never heard of the problem you are having. You have stock springs?
Old 10-01-2007, 01:02 PM

Yes. I have only had the car since '02 - but they appear to be - they have the white tag on them which I believe is an OE marking.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:50 PM

I don't have the same problem but maybe you should try jacking the rear of the car up by the body so the rear end is "hanging" (could think of the proper term) and re-seat the spring in the correct position. Once you've done that lower the car back down slowly while making sure the spring is staying seated while lowering.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:00 PM

Yea - I've been thinking of that. I also remember seeing someone putting rubber roofing material over the bottom perch before seating the spring.

From what I understand...

I need to disconnect the shock to drop the rear far enough - do I only need to do the bottom shock mount? They are stock monotube shocks - they are not pressurized are they?
Old 10-01-2007, 05:03 PM

The end of the coil on the bottom should point towards the front of the car. You do not have to disconnect the shocks to turn the springs you just have to unload them. Put the frame on jackstands let the rear drop and reach up with two hands and you should be able to twist the springs until they reach the proper position. My car has 117K on it and I adjusted mine around 110K because over time they twisted 90*