Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Rear squeak

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 10:00 PM

Question Rear squeak

Hi everyone,

My rear swaybar bushings are squeaking.
Should I replace them or just apply some lube? (I have some 'synthetic grease' left over from my LCA's upgrade)

I've researched the parts I need:
GM 10224232 - 19mm bushing

Is it advisable to replace the end links at the same time?

GM 1LE (10221779) are three times more expensive than OEM equivalent Moog K5252 end links (which are less than $5 at a nearby local store).
Are the Moog's comparable/better than the stock ones?

This is for my 97 Z28 daily driver w/ 43K miles. If anything goes wrong during this process, can I still drive without the rear sway bar?

I'm not really interested in buying a heavier 19 or 21 solid bar since I would have to upgrade the front as well. I might install a 1LE front SB later on but I won't go beyond 32mm up front.

Roads are terrible around here so I'm trying to keep everything as quiet and comfortable as possible. I'm pretty much sold on rubber bushings even if I'll have to change them sooner.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:37 AM

Re: Rear squeak

this thread should be moved to suspension. but i would think you would be okay with the oem equivalents. as long as you're not looking to do autocross or anything of that nature
Old 04-05-2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by L.dookie
this thread should be moved to suspension.
I'll be more careful next time.

I think I'll try applying some grease first... Should I remove the bolts that hold the bushing, slide them and apply some lube directly to the bar?

Regards
Old 04-05-2011, 04:26 PM

Question Re: Rear squeak

Update: I managed to pull the passenger's side bushing out. The outside rubber looks fine but the inside feels a bit rough. Time to replace??

The other bushing is really stuck (already applied some WD-40 without success). Any tips to loosen that nut?

Thanks

Name:  05Apr_0001.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  59.9 KB
Old 04-06-2011, 01:55 AM

Is the bushing stuck, or is the nut stuck. i've never really got into the suspension on my car as it was already somewhat upgraded when i got it. if it is a bolt and a nut, you should be able to put a wrench on both ends and give it all you've got. or get a ratchet and socket on one end for more leverage.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by L.dookie
Is the bushing stuck, or is the nut stuck.
It was the nut - it finally came off this morning.

It appears my rear SB bushings were not 19mm diameter to begin with. The hole was a bit smaller and was therefore modified.

Are oem ac delco rubber bushings any good?

My endlinks are 1LE type w/ white bushings. They don't look too bad... is it advisable to replace them anyways?

Cheers
Old 04-06-2011, 11:38 PM
Administrator

I installed the Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings, and the ES plated end links with poly bushing, and it had the same affect as going to slight larger sway bars - a reduction in body roll.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
I installed the Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings, and the ES plated end links with poly bushing, and it had the same affect as going to slight larger sway bars - a reduction in body roll.
In that case I would also have to change the front bushings (maybe upgrade to 32mm while at it).

I applied some lube to my current bushings and the squeaking went completely away. I'll probably save some cash and replace all at once.

Are poly bushings that good for sway bars? I've heard they will eventually get noisy and need to be frequently lubed. For how long have you had those?

Thanks for the advice
Old 04-07-2011, 05:14 AM
Administrator

I had mine in the car for almost 10 years. At that point, it became a "track" car and the front bar was removed and the rear bar replaced with a Spohn race bar. Never had a squeek or noise of any kind, and every bushing in the car is/was ES poly including the front upper and lower A-arms, generously coated with the white grease that came with the ES "Master Kit".