Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Reasonably priced slotted rotors...options?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 10:26 PM

Reasonably priced slotted rotors...options?

I'm getting parts together for my front LS1 brake upgrade, and want to go with some slotted rotors up front. I've decided (pretty much) to stay away from drilled rotors, too many people talking about cracking.

So I want some slotted rotors to help both stopping and looks. What are my options for reasonably priced rotors (under $200/pair)? Most of the ebay rotors I see are drilled, and that makes me wonder about quality. Hard to argue about the price though, some as low as $90/pair. I also saw someone on here with "dimpled" and slotted rotors, anyone have more information on those?

What about zinc coating as well? Worth it? Should it be a deciding factor for me? Or just an added bonus?
Old 09-01-2004, 02:47 AM

Re: Reasonably priced slotted rotors...options?

you dont slot street rotors for more stoping power, it will just reduce the friction surface decreasing your breaking ability.

Cheap rotors are just that, and even have a good chance of buying a brand new pair that are warped.

Dimples and slots are for looks, and the dimples aposed to the drilled will help prevent cracking.

Zinc coating, well do you want them to look all pretty all the time? then get that.

I bought a set of "cheap" rotors for my sister, thinking they would be fine, they were both warped while still being new, and had to be turned with 0 miles on them.
they also lasted about 1/4 as long as the factory replacement rotors I put on with the same pads befor. So you can buy good ones or cheap ones, its up to you.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:22 AM

Actually slotting the rotors does increase braking. Each time the pads hit the slots, they rebite the rotor and increase braking by about 10-15%. Drilled rotors are just pretty. The pads used in street applications are much better than years ago, they out gas very little; and at the temperatures they operate on the street, almost not at all.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:25 AM

The powerslot rotors from Thunder Racing have served me well. I have had them on for two years and they have performed beautifuly and look like very high quality pieces. They are coated and shine nicely.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:38 AM

Yeah I think powerslots might be the way I go. 114-125 a little pricy for my college budget, but it can be done, eventually. What about these Autozone performance rotors people have been talking about on the board? How do they compare with say, the powerslots?
Old 09-01-2004, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
Actually slotting the rotors does increase braking. Each time the pads hit the slots, they rebite the rotor and increase braking by about 10-15%.
Link me. What your saying makes no sence at all, "rebite" bite? its friction. and the slots reduce the friction surface.
Slots increase surface area (not to be confused with friction area) by about 2% I think? this will very slightly help with cooling.

A 10% gain in braking is HUGE, and if that could be acomplished with slots, then every car would have them, as making a car stop in 117' over 130' would be a huge selling point.

I like the powerslots, I know many people that have them on lots of different cars, and none have yet to warp, they look good, and they arent wearing very fast even with the very agressive pads.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:29 AM

I have the Aimco Extreme rotors from autozone that your talking about.
They are cross drilled and slotted and I have about 15k on them now.
I have zero complaints about these rotors, I thought with all the talk on the board they would be cracked by now....nope they are just fine and have several harsh stops on them.
I don,t autocross or anything, just a few street encounters now and then but at this point I would not hesitate to buy them again.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by revtime
I have the Aimco Extreme rotors from autozone that your talking about.
They are cross drilled and slotted and I have about 15k on them now.
I have zero complaints about these rotors, I thought with all the talk on the board they would be cracked by now....nope they are just fine and have several harsh stops on them.
I don,t autocross or anything, just a few street encounters now and then but at this point I would not hesitate to buy them again.
how much did you pay for 4 rotors/pads?
Old 09-02-2004, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Xride
you dont slot street rotors for more stoping power, it will just reduce the friction surface decreasing your breaking ability.

Cheap rotors are just that, and even have a good chance of buying a brand new pair that are warped.

Dimples and slots are for looks, and the dimples aposed to the drilled will help prevent cracking.

Zinc coating, well do you want them to look all pretty all the time? then get that.
What he said.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:47 AM

I paid about 100 a side for the fronts, I am running stock ones in the rear.
I thought I would give them a try since they were not too expensive figuring they would be toast in a short time but so far they have been great and they stop pretty darn good too. I outbraked a stock LS1 once with these rotors although repeated high speed stops might not work so good but I have not really gotten harsh with em too see how much they would put up with.
I run performance friction brake pads all around witch cost me about 45 per axle if I remember right.
Keep in mind I don,t autocross and I only trap about 104 so they are not getting beaten on too bad.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Xride
Link me. What your saying makes no sence at all, "rebite" bite? its friction. and the slots reduce the friction surface.
Slots increase surface area (not to be confused with friction area) by about 2% I think? this will very slightly help with cooling.

A 10% gain in braking is HUGE, and if that could be acomplished with slots, then every car would have them, as making a car stop in 117' over 130' would be a huge selling point.

I like the powerslots, I know many people that have them on lots of different cars, and none have yet to warp, they look good, and they arent wearing very fast even with the very agressive pads.
That info come straight from Baer brakes. They also say the slots keep the pads cleaner and they tend to squeal less too. Who Knew???
Old 09-03-2004, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
That info come straight from Baer brakes. They also say the slots keep the pads cleaner and they tend to squeal less too. Who Knew???
Really?

FAQ on Baer's site

and a nice quote from that

Although crossdrilling and/or slotting will provide a welcome path to expend any gasses when and if they develop, it is primarily a visual enhancement behind today’s often wide-open wheel designs.
they will also get DIRTIER and squeal MORE then normal rotors, although squealing is more the pad then the rotor.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:37 AM

Slots and crossdrilling are mainly for looks regardless of what some people say. Everytime you compromise the shape of the rotor by drilling or slotting, you increase the chances of it cracking. Most people will never experience this since they never take their cars to the track. Just because it doesn't happen to them, doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. They just are beating on their brakes hard enough.

I highly doubt there's any increase in stopping power. Pads gassing is not even a concern, especially with good pads. But it's not even an issue with cheap pads anymore. Any conceivable advantage the increase surface area is offseted by the fact that you have less mass in the rotor. The slots don't make the pad rebite. If they did, we'd be in trouble since the initial bite is usually the period of time before the pads reach maximum efficiency.

If you believe everything put out by Baer's marketing department, then you should go out and get a case of that motor oil that gives you 10 horsepower. Heck, I got some snake oil that will give you immortality, guarantee to work or your money back.

Last edited by Jabberwocky; 09-03-2004 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:03 AM

Brembo slotted rotors are an excellent upgrade at a very reasonable price ($242 for fronts). Power Slots are $252 for fronts and Power Slot Pro Stop II are $268. Take your pick, they all stop great. FYI Royal Purple DOES provide about an 8 RWHP advantage over conventional lubricants when used in the engine, transmission and rear end! This has been shown on Speed Channel's HorsePower TV program several times now.

Last edited by SOMSS; 09-06-2004 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by SOMSS
FYI Royal Purple DOES provide about an 8 RWHP advantage over conventional lubricants when used in the engine, transmission and rear end! This has been shown on Speed Channel's HorsePower TV program several times now.
Off topic, but had to comment,
It showed a whole big ZERO increase on a dyno with my car

Quick Reply: Reasonably priced slotted rotors...options?