Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

recommendation.....brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 05:04 PM

recommendation.....brakes

just got quoted from tires plus. 266 for front. 257 for rear. that is for brakes and rotors b4 taxes. anyway if i am going to spend 600 for brakes, i dont want to just want to put the stock ones back in there. i am just gonna do the front for now. what would u guys recommend for rotor and pads? trying to stay under 300, that way i will have some left over for labor charge. is there some package deals anywhere? went to thunderracing , they had a few, just not sure if they are what i need or what not.
thanks in advance. later
Old 10-21-2004, 09:24 AM

Re: recommendation.....brakes

A lot of people like to disagree, but I'd have to say go with Brembo rotors and hawk pads. Its a great combination and my breaking definately improved greatly over stock. Brembo makes a real nice quality rotor, and I was surprised to see how cheap they were. Go with the blanks on tire rack. Blanks aren't quite as cool looking as cross drilled or slotted but for day to day driving the performance is almost the same if not better than cross drilled or slotted. The principle behind this is that there is more friction area on a blank. Rotors are debatable, but as far as pads go, I wouldnt get near anything but Hawk Pads. Great price/performance. Anyways if you have the time do the brakes yourself. I'm 18 and had never done anything on my car before, besides a air lid and filter, and I did my own brakes in about two hours. Yes, all four rotors, and 4 sets of pads. It was a piece of cake, and I saved a lot of money. Many inexperienced ppl feel hesitant about working on brakes, pretty much the most important thing on your car besides your engine, and thus they feel a *professional* should do the work. Well 7,000 miles later, I have yet to have a problem, and I've slammed on them a couple of times from over 110. It's easy, and as long as you have a good guide such as www.installuniveristy.com, you'd have to be a complete goof to screw it up.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:40 AM

Thumbs up Re: recommendation.....brakes

I would go with the LS1 setup if money is tight, they can easily be had from most junk yards and I believe you need the whole spindle assm fro both sides.

Or you can go with Bob's Bishop's Z06 conversion (using either LT1 or LS1 spindles) I think if you can find the brackets, the entire kit from Dal or Jason should run around 800-900 bucks...

I think the Z06 conversion is the most cost effective, by the way I hear that its the same as the Baer GT kit.. not sure since I have never owned one.

Good luck.. diff upgrade the stockers with something from above.

Kevin
Old 10-24-2004, 10:10 AM

Power stop rotors are a good rotor. As far as pad they are crazy expensive for our cars.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:27 AM

I have a LS1 setup, everything needed for a bolt in install.

It includes:

Spindles
LS1 calipers
Powerslot rotors (less then 2000 miles on them)
SS Lines
EBC Green pads (less then 2000 miles on them)

Asking $350.00 for the set plus S&H. PM me if interested.