Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Relocation bracket GAP ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 03:49 PM

Relocation bracket GAP ?

Below is a BMR weld in bracket and it is designed to go over the original LCA location to be welded in, making it wider, now when you slide the LCA (below is the stocker for reference, same size as aftermarket 2 1/2") in the bracket there is a huge gap. How do we fill this gap?

Old 03-25-2006, 09:19 PM

Re: Relocation bracket GAP ?

I just installed a set on friday and I just torqued them until they fit with an impact and a wrench it worked fine
Old 03-25-2006, 09:21 PM

To hell, it was rainin tonight and I was bored so I fixed it right, it's just insane to take up a 1/2" gap with washers, BMR take note

Old 03-25-2006, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by gluemaker
I just installed a set on friday and I just torqued them until they fit with an impact and a wrench it worked fine

You took up a 1/2" by pullin them in ... how well are the LCA bushings sitting against the edges if they're pulled in on an angle?

Last edited by J&JsTA; 03-25-2006 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:12 AM

nice workmanship on that fix.
My bolt in BMRs were not anywhere near that loose of a fit. I could just squeeze a single washer (which was supplied with the brackets IIRC) in alongside the LCA.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by gluemaker
On BMR's webstite it shows the brackets coming with 8 washers. You'd rather bend the brackets than use them?
Old 03-26-2006, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bud M
nice workmanship on that fix.
My bolt in BMRs were not anywhere near that loose of a fit. I could just squeeze a single washer (which was supplied with the brackets IIRC) in alongside the LCA.

Thx guy, I took a closer look at some of the BMR pics and it looks like the bolt on's already have a plate spacers on them, why they didn't do that to the weld on's is a mystery
Old 03-26-2006, 09:21 PM

No I used the washers and took up the rest with heat and impact
Old 03-26-2006, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Is it possible you got relo brackets for a Moser rear axle? The brackets on the Moser are wider than the ones on the stock rear or on a Strange 12-bolt, and require a wider relo bracket. I don't see that BMR makes that real clear on their site and maybe they have made an extra-wide "one size fits all" bracket, but the Spohn site clearly shows different part #'s for the Moser.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Is it possible you got relo brackets for a Moser rear axle? The brackets on the Moser are wider than the ones on the stock rear or on a Strange 12-bolt, and require a wider relo bracket. I don't see that BMR makes that real clear on their site and maybe they have made an extra-wide "one size fits all" bracket, but the Spohn site clearly shows different part #'s for the Moser.
Possibly, but if you look at both versions of the Spohn brackets they have platting welded in for the LCA position :dunno:

http://www.spohn.net/productimages/210_big.jpg

Dosen't matter now anyway, all done but just for ppl thinking about which relocation brackets to get, perhaps there is a better choice

Last edited by J&JsTA; 03-28-2006 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:06 AM
Administrator

It looks like Spohn makes two different sets of brackets.... a wide one for the Moser rears, and a narrow one for the stock and Strange rears. BMR appears to make only one bracket design, and gives you washers to make up the difference......

But how tight did the BMR brackets fit to the LCA brackets already welded on the axle? Did they have to be crushed to fit tight enough, or did you use washers and then have to figure out how to fill the gap when you welded the edges?
Old 03-27-2006, 09:41 AM

I have a set of these and they have the plates already welded on to take up this gap if memory serves. I clearly remeber seeing some kind of build welded to the brackets. Maybe you have the wrong brackets.
I will check mine tonight and post a pic.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
It looks like Spohn makes two different sets of brackets.... a wide one for the Moser rears, and a narrow one for the stock and Strange rears. BMR appears to make only one bracket design, and gives you washers to make up the difference......

But how tight did the BMR brackets fit to the LCA brackets already welded on the axle? Did they have to be crushed to fit tight enough, or did you use washers and then have to figure out how to fill the gap when you welded the edges?

The BMR bracket just fit over top of stock bracket and gets welded on no problem, this brackest was meant for the 10 bolt. The BMR bracket just doesn't have any plates welded in like the Spohn for the LCA bushing to fit against as shown in the first pic. No matter if it's for a Moser or not, the point at which the LCAs attach need to be the same width as the stock bracket, that's why the Spohn brackets have the platting. just buyers be aware of what you're getting or use washers