Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Removal of Welded on SFCs???? Where/How?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 12:36 AM

Removal of Welded on SFCs???? Where/How?

So I have this crappy set of tubular SFCs that was welded on very poorly. I have decided they are to be replaced with a set of DD style SFCs. My problem is this: I tried using an air compressor with a grinder to remove the welds/SFCs, but there just wasn't enough power to do it. Then I tried my trusty Dremel with the Extra Heavy Duty Cutting Tips. That made progress, but it would take me like a month of Sundays to finish this IF I could manuver the little bugger properly and stop getting sparks and metal thrown into my face (Yes I wore goggles).

Anyone know if/how to remove these? Or more specifically, where I could take them to HAVE them removed LOL I am in the L.A. Valley (Cali), so if anyone knows of a place they recommend, I would appreciate hearing about this.

I am also posting this in the Western Forum as well.

Thanks in advance,
Darrin
Old 06-21-2004, 01:03 AM

any real grinder at any shop will make short work of them.

where ever you are going to take the new ones to be welded on, get them to take the old off.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:19 AM

Originally posted by Xride
any real grinder at any shop will make short work of them.

where ever you are going to take the new ones to be welded on, get them to take the old off.
Yeah, tried that today...........we (my friend and I) are putting on my new ones as they are bolt on SLP DD's........and we spent hours trying to remove the old ones with not a lot of luck LOL Thank you though.

Any other suggestions?
Old 06-21-2004, 06:25 AM

In reality, it's just called a grinder or I'd use a cut-off wheel and a grinder for cleanup.

It'll take a while, but it's the only clean way I can really think of...

A PC (Plasma Cutter) would do too much collateral damage.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by Rottluver
Yeah, tried that today...........we (my friend and I) are putting on my new ones as they are bolt on SLP DD's........and we spent hours trying to remove the old ones with not a lot of luck LOL Thank you though.

Any other suggestions?
A grinder will take it off.
A dremel is not a grinder. and an air die grinder is not a grinder.

A grinder is like a well a grinder. you plug it is, it has a 7" disk on it, and you put some preasure to the surface you want to remove.
A good grinder with a good disk will remove alot of material real fast.
I would mear a face shield and coveralls cause its going to throw sparks everywhere.

I would get them welded on after you bolt them up.
but thats just me.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:21 PM

A grinder will take it off.
A dremel is not a grinder. and an air die grinder is not a grinder.
Yup, found that out the hard way LOL

A grinder is like a well a grinder. you plug it is, it has a 7" disk on it, and you put some preasure to the surface you want to remove.
A good grinder with a good disk will remove alot of material real fast.
I would mear a face shield and coveralls cause its going to throw sparks everywhere.

I would get them welded on after you bolt them up.
but thats just me.
Thanks, I guess that is something I could buy at Home Depot (or similar?)

I do plan on getting them welded on eventually, but I want to see how they feel bolted up and make sure they don't sit too low when I get my SLP Bilsteins on and my LT headers..........THEN I will be running to a GOOD weld shop this time to have them welded on.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:42 PM

If you have a welding specialty store near you they would probably have one you can rent.

But otherwise yes homedepot or similar should have one, but it would probably be cheaper to take it to a shop and have them grind it off then buying the grinder.

SLP bilstiens are shocks and wont lower the car.
but the SLP eibachs wont make the SFC too low, the LT's will still be lower then the SFC's.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:18 PM

If you have a welding specialty store near you they would probably have one you can rent.

But otherwise yes homedepot or similar should have one, but it would probably be cheaper to take it to a shop and have them grind it off then buying the grinder.

SLP bilstiens are shocks and wont lower the car.
but the SLP eibachs wont make the SFC too low, the LT's will still be lower then the SFC's.
yeah, I meant the SLP Eibachs, sorry, I am retarded today. Very tired and too much spark/metal flakes that found their way around and under my safety goggles into my eyes LOL Thanks for catching that.........I saw some grinders at Harbor Freight for like 20 bucks....although, I am a firm believer in "You get what you pay for" so I will have to wait and see if I can find a place that will do it for cheaper the $60.......otherwise I will buy my own Craftsman and do it myself.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:26 AM

I got a Craftsman electric grinder for around $25 or $30 on sale a while back. It has come in handy a few times. A good tool to have on hand.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:57 AM

Originally posted by Bud M
I got a Craftsman electric grinder for around $25 or $30 on sale a while back. It has come in handy a few times. A good tool to have on hand.
I used one at the shop I used to work at, it was a oh **** the good one broke, need a replacement.
Didnt even last the day befor burning out.
but I agree for the average garage it will most likely do fine.