Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

removed bumpstops

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 06:46 PM

removed bumpstops

I just installed my 17x11" zr1's with 335/35/zr17's and i was forced to totally remove the bumpstops. i had to but them completely off. i backed out of the drive and my rear tire hit my fender. has anyone tried relocationg the bumpstops closer inside the rear, one the inside of the spring? with the new rims and tires, the entire car sits lower, i must have always been sitting the the bumpstops with my sportlines. are the orange shocks the origional type? what would be a good replacement for the rears? I'm going to make a bracket and weld it more under the car to keep from bottoming out, just the weight of the rear makes the car sink.

should that work? on each side of my car, the rear tires stick out 3/8" inch fron the feedr. that about right with 335's on there?
Old 08-24-2004, 08:49 PM

Re: removed bumpstops

why didnt you do 315's on an 11" wheel like everyone else?
there really isnt the room for 335's with a drop.

the car shouldnt sit lower with the new wheels and tires though.

The orange shocks are the factory decarbons and arent sutible for the factory shocks, I'm surprised to all hell that you have them with sportlines. the revalved bilstiens with the Koni SA or DA in the front will be the best.
I wouldnt change just the rear unless you were going with drag shocks in the rear, and even still.

You could try to move the bump stop, but I dont see why it would be in the way.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:14 AM

I ground down the bumpstops like everyone else but the rims were still hitting , so we had to them them all the way off, we even had to hammer in the area around the bumpstops. we ended up reinstalling the bumpstops inside the rear springsbut the tires kept hitting the fenders when i pulled out of my drive, so we had to lower the bumpstops even more, they are about 2 1/4 lower than origionally and the fenders almost hit, bit they havent yet. i'm riding on the bumpstops all the time now and its really rough in the rear. would new shocks help from compressing all the way?

I got the rims with the tires, i always wanted to try the 335's but when its time im going with the 315's for sure, the tires were no extra charge and were already mounted
Old 08-25-2004, 10:41 AM

You've got the wrong shocks from a perspective of making for a good ride, but I doubt new ones will fix all your problems. They may make the ride a bit less bumpy though. It just sounds like you've got a combo that won't work. Wide wheels, wider tires that extend to the outside of your fender, low-rider springs - something's eventually not going to work. You'd need to flare your fenders out to avoid that contact. I think I'd put some taller springs back in, and get some better shocks for a start, but you may always have trouble with the 335's until you replace them with 315's or flare the fender.

But bumpstops inside the springs - that's a slick move - got any pictures of them?

Dave
Old 08-25-2004, 11:59 AM

As dave said your problem isnt just the shocks, but being on the stockers means I would put money on them being completely worn out and not helping your situation any.

Your going to have to roll your fenders, but in higher springs and get better shocks to make your 335s fit. It almost sounds like you dont have the proper backspacing also if the rim itself was hitting the bumpstop.

in anycase, get new shocks all around, the stock decarbons should not be used with aftermarket springs at all.
after that its up to you.
you could roll the finder get taller springs and hope for the best (still a chance your going to hit)
or you could sell the 335s and put 315s on,
Old 08-25-2004, 10:08 PM

i have the 50mm rear and the 56mm front, their the right offset for my car. my wheel studs wern't long enough to use spacers, I'll take some pics of my new bumpstops, but they don't help much and i dont know if their going to hurt the rearend where thay sit. I've been driving it the way it is without any rubbing of the fenders or anywhere else, its bust a little bumpy cause i wont let the rear shocks compress the way i have my bumpstops resting on the rearend.