Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

removing the front sway bar!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 06:58 PM

removing the front sway bar!!

remove guide at all?
is it pretty easy? or will it take a long while?
please let me know
randy
Old 06-26-2004, 10:47 PM

very easy. 13 mm deep socket and 13mm box end wrench(I guess you could also use a sec. ratchet/13mm socket). the end links will probably break if youve never had them off. dont worry about that. they arent that much if you wanted to reinstall the sway bar. are you replacing the bushings or taking it off to go racing?
Old 06-26-2004, 10:50 PM

Is it safe to drive without a swaybar? I see alot of people list that as a weight reduction in magazines. I was just wondering if that was just for the race and then reinstalled for regular driving.

Thanks

Joe
Old 06-26-2004, 11:41 PM

I ran around without mine on for about a year just because I was too lazy to crawl under there and put it back on.

If you don't drive like Dale Earnhardt Jr. on the street you should be fine.

I recently put mine back on for no reason really, just to get a better more stable feeling in the corners.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:53 PM

Had mine off for about 4 months.....No problems do far. I have DMS lowering springs and that helps the car handle. Helps out at the track.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:53 PM

So, under normal driving the sway bar isn't needed as long as you drive reasonably on the street. Right?
Old 06-27-2004, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by 96birdlt1
So, under normal driving the sway bar isn't needed as long as you drive reasonably on the street. Right?
yep
Old 06-27-2004, 12:59 AM

who wants to drive reasonably though
Old 06-27-2004, 02:37 AM

I had to cut my endlinks off because they were rusted and I couldnt get the bolt to budge. To be honest I really havent noticed much of a handling difference since i have taken it off though.
Old 06-27-2004, 02:37 AM

yea seee i like to take fast corners at high speeds....
but isnt if you take out the sway bar the wheels will go like this

/ \ and if i didnt have on a strut tower brace with would do this \ /
somewhere along those lines....
Old 06-27-2004, 03:49 AM

the car will simply feel a bit more sloppy or a bit more lazy when turning.

personally I'd keep it on for the street, in case in an emergency if you ever had to make some quickmoves to avoid a wreck the car can handle like it is supposed to. just taking it off for the street will do nothing for the performance of the car.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:24 AM

When the unexpected happens when driving on the street, you are going to wish you had the sway bar on. Front/rear balance (not talking about weight) is going to be upset and your car may not handle as you expect. The end result may be something less than you desired.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:29 AM

well, I have it off my Iroc, but my 95 Im leaving as a cornercarving car too. it will help the car hook up at the track (or on the street) if you are havieng a hard time launching due to spinning tires. it wil make the car lean as you are goin into a turn. it will be a big diff. then normal, but not like your driving a SUV or anything. If I were you, Id take it off, see how you like it. maybe you'll hate the way it drives. in that case, just reinstall it w/graphite bushings. if you dont have to corner fast, and you like to drag race more then anything, then leave it off.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by crAzy95z28
yea seee i like to take fast corners at high speeds....
but isnt if you take out the sway bar the wheels will go like this

/ \ and if i didnt have on a strut tower brace with would do this \ /
somewhere along those lines....
Leave it in. Your ideas about suspension are wrong. The sway bar and STB have nothing to do with alignment. Removing the sway bar will let the car lean more in corners. It has nothing to do with the wheels.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Bud M
Leave it in. Your ideas about suspension are wrong. The sway bar and STB have nothing to do with alignment. Removing the sway bar will let the car lean more in corners. It has nothing to do with the wheels.
Won't affect "static" alignment, but you will get a significantly different camber change on the left and right sides as the body starts to "roll" more, without the sway bar. The body inside corner will move "up" excessively relative to the a-arms, and the outside corner will be moving down excessively. The camber change will be different, compared to a front end that is held more "level".

End results are the same.... leave it in, unless it is the last thing you have to do to allow your car to run a 9.99 instead of a 10.01

Quick Reply: removing the front sway bar!!