Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

removing panhard bar brace????

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Re: removing panhard bar brace????

Originally Posted by Injuneer
I was always a little hesitant to pull the brace out, but a friend on mine did it on his 30th SS convertible, and it was running 8.60@160mph with a 1.30 60-ft and no problems. Obvioulsy, the car was only driven in a straight line (more of a drag car ) . For street use, I'd think twice.
And to avoid even more confusion on the subject, I need to add that there were extensive modifications to the 30th SS convertible. I don't want anyone to think that deletion of the bar on an all-out drag car (never used on the street) somehow demonstrated that it was a wise deletion for everyone.

The mounting points of both ends of the panhard rod connections were dropped, both adding a new mounting pad on the axle end, and by extending the arm that holds the body end of the brace, the body arm was substantially reinforced, and alterations were made to the top connection to strengthen it. It was not an unthought-out deletion. The issues raised be Norm were considered.

http://cjcfo.fbody.com/members/injun.../DCP03868a.jpg
Old 02-15-2005, 05:44 AM

Yeah, that looks pretty nicely done. But I wouldn't expect it to hold up very long in any sort of racing that uses the steering wheel.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:23 AM

Thanks for the pic Fred. That's one of the ideas I had considered. Did George ever run bars on the back of the car? If so, did this setup clear them?
Old 02-15-2005, 11:57 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mongse_1
Thanks for the pic Fred. That's one of the ideas I had considered. Did George ever run bars on the back of the car? If so, did this setup clear them?
He had wheelie bars on the back, afraid of getting the nose too high off the ground. But after the first pass, he realized we (actually, Steve Spohn) had the suspension down cold and it wasn't going to pull the wheels more than about 2" off the pavement. Never ran the bars again. The bars fit fine. Don't remember how long they were. S+W as I recall.

The perfect launch:

http://cjcfo.fbody.com/members/injun...B/IMG_0710.jpg
Old 02-18-2005, 12:42 PM

Come to think of it, I do remember a post by him (or about him) on his first transbrake launch. I think that's what prompted the bars.