Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Removing spring off shock HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 02:13 PM

Removing spring off shock HELP!

I am compressing my spring on my 94z's strut. I need to reuse the top part of the strut that goes underneath the strut towers. I need to reuse it and put it on my qa1s. I have the spring compressed but, when I loosen the rod that goes threw the shock that holds the plate down it just keeps on spining. I can't get the plate off??????

Thanks Mark
Old 12-20-2004, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Re: Removing spring off shock HELP!

Not real clear what part you are tlaking about.... are you talking about the upper spring/shock mount being stuck to the shock shaft? The top of the shock shaft will rust fast to the metal insert in the upper spring seat/shock mount. If this is the case, you will be better off buying new upper mounts.

http://members.aol.com/InjuneerZZ/im...otos/shk08.jpg

Or maybe I missed the intent of your question and you could mention which part(s) in the picture above you are having a problem with.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:21 PM

I can't remove the upper strut mount above the spring. There is a bolt on top of it and I loosened it when I had the spring compressed. Then I loosened the bolt on top of the strut mount and I loosened then stop. I looked and saw while I was loosening the bolt on top that the shaft just spins and I can't remove the mount.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:55 PM

It's common for the nut to weld itself to the shock "rod". Since you're replacing the shocks anyway, you can cut the rod to separate the two.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:21 PM

There were two flats on the end of the shock rod. You use a shock socket or an adjustable wrench to hold the rod while you turn the nut with a box end wrench.

Rust could have eroded the end of the the rod and the flats may be gone.

If so, cutting is your only choice. A hacksaw will not even touch the shock shaft with a toothed blade, it is plated and very hard. A toothed saws-all will not work either. I tried both. You have to use an abrasive cut off wheel or some other abrasive blade. They do make them for hacksaws, but make sure you can get the blade in with the spring compressor on. If you cut the shaft with the spring free, IT WILL KILL YOU. At least 900lbs of force trapped in the assembly.

Z28
Old 12-20-2004, 11:07 PM
Administrator

The confusing part of your description is the reference to "bolts". Once you pull spring/shock assembly out of the front suspension, there are no bolts of any kind involved. There is a single nut on the top of the shock shaft, that prevents the upper spring seat/shock mount and "dogbone" insert from coming off the shock. No "bolts"... look at my picture. All the parts are there and the only bolts are the ones that mount the bottom of the shock to the A-arm.

As mentioned above, the NUT rusts fast to the shock shaft. You can try putting a vise grip through the spring to grab the shaft and keep it from rotating. I was able to get one stubborn nut off by repeatedly loosening and tightening it with an air impact gun. After about 5 minutesof this it broke loose. If all of the above fails, you cut through the very hard shaft.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:12 AM

My fault, nut, I was referring to the nut on top. I compressed the spring, loosened the nut and used vice grips to keep the rod in the shock from spining and I got it off. Sorry for the confusion guys.

Thanks