Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

replace the brake pads and hoses?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 08:14 AM

replace the brake pads and hoses?

Recently acquired a 1995 V8 firbird formula. The brakes were weak so I replaced the master cylinder, front caliper assemblies and had the rotors turned. I bleed the brkes starting at the ABS unit, then the rear and then the front. The brkes are about the same as before. I did not replace the pads since they looked almost new. I wonder about the hoses since the prior owner had them on there twisted. Should I replace the hoes and the pads?
Old 11-19-2008, 08:25 AM

Is the engine modified? Any vacuum issues? Replacing the pads after getting the rotors turned is a good idea. If the brake lines were twisted, they could be weakened. Maybe a good time for a braided stainless steel upgrade.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Former Vendor

Part of the DOT certification for brake hose manufacturers like ourselves is that some sort of marking must go down the hose to guarantee they are not twisted during installation. Having a hose twisted during installation will drastically decrease the life of the hose along with putting extra load on the fittings. We have full sets of DOT S.S. hoses available with OEM style fittings if you decide to replace the hoses.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:19 AM

To the best of my knowledge the engine is bone stock. There seems to be plenty of vacuum but I have not put a guage to it. Usual pedal drop test of booster indicates it is OK. No ABS light.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by hotpart
Part of the DOT certification for brake hose manufacturers like ourselves is that some sort of marking must go down the hose to guarantee they are not twisted during installation. Having a hose twisted during installation will drastically decrease the life of the hose along with putting extra load on the fittings. We have full sets of DOT S.S. hoses available with OEM style fittings if you decide to replace the hoses.
Sounds like that's your answer right there.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:08 AM

lt1 fbodies are well known for crappy brakes.

and if the pads are crappy (even if they are new) than obviously you'll have poor braking.

change the pads...and honestly i would put new rotors on. turning them will increase the chance of warping.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:56 AM

Well, pads are what clamp the rotors and give the brakes bite....

You kind of missed the most important part.... Brake lines: Being 14 years old they probably aren't in the best shape as far as longevity goes, but they pretty much work until they pop. Stainless lines have less flex and swell, but the difference isn't huge enough to do unless you either need or want to replace lines anyway.

You need yourself some proper brake pads my friend. A set of Hawk HPS's will do you wonders vs. parts store cheapies....
Old 12-18-2008, 04:31 PM

Put on some new pads and used new caliper bolts also last night. Made a world of difference on how it stops. Thanks for the advise.